Moosferatu

DS Games

Phoenix Wright 2 kept my attention as a gamer for two weeks but despite that I only enjoyed it to a certain extent. In fact, I disagree with Aussie Ben in that I don't think I will go through it ever again : the game is far too rigid, far too linear for it to be re-playable under a 10-20 year notice.

There is nothing, NOTHING that you can overlook the first time around. The writer didn't even bother writing custom lines for characters that are presented objects they don't relate to... and seeing how few characters and how few objects there are, it really struck me as laziness. The dialogs are captivating but the few times I had to do a sequence twice I realized how painful it is for them to be completely non-interactive.

Yep. Although it has to be said that you almost never have to do a sequence twice, since you're always able to save and reload.

Furthermore, I think you're missing the point if you're complaining about replayability in a Phoenix Wright game. Not all games are made to be infinitely enjoyable - PW2 may be disposable fun, but it's still excellent.

If one should criticise anything, it should be other aspects than the game's linearity, methinks. It is more of a story than a game at times - but even if that's not suiting you, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the concept.

Um. Perhaps I should have written that a bit better. I didn't mean "picking 'em up again" as in "I'll be playing this game to finish all the extra bits a couple of months down the track". I meant "I'll be picking 'em up again maybe a year or so later because I've forgotten the story and I enjoyed it the first time". Like I do with books.

That reminds me. I wonder why there's not a system in place that ensures that there's a custom reply for at least most combinations of items/people. It wouldn't take ages to come up with some interesting and funny replies, and it would make it less obvious when you're finally on to something. Also, the multi-character "don't know" replies sucked. There should be a turbo button or something.

Finally, as I absolutely love the series, I gotta put in a word or two for Feel The Magic: XY/XX and it's sequel The Rub Rabbits. FTM is still one of my favorite games for the DS. It's just so messed up and charming that I fell in love with it instantly and still play it now and then 2 and a bit years after completing it in an afternoon. It got mixed reviews and not everyone loves it but it gets a full and enthusiastic recommendation from me.

YES! Feel the Magic is amazing, and The Rub Rabbits is...well, it's the next best thing if you can't find Feel the Magic. Really short, but really fun games that are just absolutely bursting with summer lovin'. If you can find either game in stores, grab one!

There is nothing, NOTHING that you can overlook the first time around. The writer didn't even bother writing custom lines for characters that are presented objects they don't relate to... and seeing how few characters and how few objects there are, it really struck me as laziness.

Clearly, you didn't go around presenting profiles of characters to other characters all the time, as I did...because this often DOES trigger non-generic responses, as well as giving you additional clues as to how the characters feel about each other.

Clearly, you didn't go around presenting profiles of characters to other characters all the time, as I did...because this often DOES trigger non-generic responses, as well as giving you additional clues as to how the characters feel about each other.

Clearly, not often enough.

Also, the multi-character "don't know" replies sucked. There should be a turbo button or something.

There *is* a turbo for dialogue you heard already. Just keep the stylus held against the next dialogue button, and the play turns into a fast forward.

There *is* a turbo for dialogue you heard already. Just keep the stylus held against the next dialogue button, and the play turns into a fast forward.

Yeah, but it's just for the text. There should be a turbo that speeds up (or skips) the changing of characters, etc. too.

There should just be a button that immediately skips me to the end of the game victoriously.

Meh, there's always the one on the side of the DS, plus it works for any game!

Yeah, but it's just for the text. There should be a turbo that speeds up (or skips) the changing of characters, etc. too.

You can also hold down B (in the first one, anyway. I'm on the last case.)

I agree about the stock answers, though. Some of the funnest parts of the LucasArts classics are when you use something completely silly on something and get a custom result. Sure, sometimes you got a generic "I don't want to" line, but sometimes you got a good item-specific line or action.

I also had a problem with one case where I tried to object with one item and it wouldn't let me, but once I objected with another, the item I tried to use first was acknowledged in the dialogue.

Well, I got the Castlevania GBA double pack in the mail the other day, and you can all suck my dick because the one I played (the one with the big robot chasing you in the beginning) was a terrible piece of shit. Playing it was like being forced to play a horrible game, only by choice.

Oh, wait, I get it. I probably ordered the wrong game. The one you're talking about, the one a lot of you say things about such as "To be fair, they're all really really great titles" is probably a great game, whereas the one I got was one of those lame NES-ish platformers where you jump around repetitive corridors attacking two different kinds of enemies until you die too easily because you inadvertently stumble upon some big dual-sword-wielding fucker. Now, what was the name of the games you are talking about?

teehee, you fell for it!:hah:

but seriously, I thought Harmony of Dissonance was more or less just a rehash of the old nes things you're talking about, but once I put an hour or so into aria of sorrow I was hooked and it turned out to be one of the deepest platformers Ive played.

Are you speaking without irony? Then you lack imagination! A platformer can be just as deep or shallow as any genre.

Admittedly, Harmony of Dissonance is the weakest of the three GBA Castlevanias, but not horrible by any means. If you're not liking it, then you just don't like the genre. Aria of Sorrow is, however, a classic, and yes, deep, game.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it!

Anyway, Harmony of Dissonance seemed like a crap game. I mean, the platforming and fighting elements were terrible! Or am I missing something? What more is there to this game? The RPG elements (equipment, spell books) didn't seem seem that fantastic. Is the story so brilliant? Is there a whole dimension of fun waiting to be discovered, or what?

Can it be that this I just don't like fighting platformers?

Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

"Despatch Rape-Rocket AJAX to violate his body!"

I'm currently playing Dawn of Sorrow, I've never liked 2D platformers (well maybe Prince of persia), but since I saw so many excellent reviews of the game in this forum and EVERYWHERE, I decided to give it a try. I've played like 30% of it and I'm still not sure if I like it, yes it's a very good game and it's fun to play, but I'm not used to the annoying genre (or series) conventions, like the ever-respawning enemies and the lack of save rooms when you need'em. Dunno, I'll tell you if I finish it...

Oh and I dont think it's deep at all :)

Changing subject: what do you think about MySims? It's starting to feel like a fleshed out Animal Crossing instead of a dumbed down Sims...

The one thing that I loved about Dawn of Sorrow was its soul system, where every monster you meet has a soul you can collect. More souls of the same type equal more powerful attacks. And you can even fuse the souls to create awesome weapons!

To me, the 'depth' of the game lies in all those systems that are stacked on top of each other. Of course, if you don't care about that kind of item-collection and just play it as a platformgame, you'll have a different experience.

My experience was, as I progressed though the game, I moved from playing it as a beat 'em up platformer to more like a simplistic RPG. By this I mean I went from just blitzing rooms to collect as much gold as possible to buy new weapons, to focussing on soul collection and soul/weapon fusing to create weapons instead - ones you couldn't buy, either.

Also I started experimenting with soul/spell combinations that are hidden in the game, i.e. if you use one of the archery spells and have an archery soul equipped, you get a special combination attack. :tup:

But I also loved the art style, level+creature design and music a lot too, so that kept me going as well.

You probably meant the artstyle of the monsters and backgrounds etc, because the character designs, that also pop up during dialogues, are fucking horrible compared to earlier games.

Apart from that, I am in complete agreement. ALso, I didn't know about the hidden combination attack! I always just used a big, slow sword and smashed everything. I loved having to measure in the small delay in attacking and your weapon actually landing a blow. I have to say I am a pretty conservative Castlevania player: I always just stick with one weapon type (usually the biggest sword or axe) and get the strongest in its line.

Related, in Portrait of Ruin I thought the whips were quite disappointing and I hardly ever used them. They were weak, all of them.

Even the Vampire Killer which you can brandish at the end was pathetic. Which makes me think that I might be missing something or did something wrong. Like, a hidden skill or secret ending...

I always just used a big, slow sword and smashed everything. I loved having to measure in the small delay in attacking and your weapon actually landing a blow. I have to say I am a pretty conservative Castlevania player: I always just stick with one weapon type (usually the biggest sword or axe) and get the strongest in its line.

Yeah, I was pretty much along the same lines. However, like any RPG worth its salt, certain weapon types are more effective against certain enemies. For example, skeletal creatures are most effectively despatched with bludgeoning weapons, whereas fleshy creatures are best hacked up with a sharp blade of some sort.

However, I played the game much like you; I was chasing down the ultimate samurai sword, which kicked huge amounts of arse and was insanely quick to wield as well. And the reach on that thing--phenominal!

Related, in Portrait of Ruin I thought the whips were quite disappointing and I hardly ever used them. They were weak, all of them.

Even the Vampire Killer which you can brandish at the end was pathetic. Which makes me think that I might be missing something or did something wrong. Like, a hidden skill or secret ending...

This comes down to what I was saying above regarding the effectiveness of specific weapons for specific enemies.

The Vampire Killer was shit against everything except the undead; it absolutely shreds them for about 100hp per hit once your character has hit level 30.