Moosferatu

Battlestar Galactica Season 3

I think there were around 49,000 at the beginning of the first season. By the end of the second season I believe there were around 39,000. I just checked the Battlestar wiki. Apparently at the end of 33 there were 47,273 survivors and at the end of Lay Down Your Burdens there were 39,192. ah, but apparently there some debate about whether or not that number includes people who weren't on New Caprica as the number at the beginning of the episodes was 49,550. Naturally, some of the lose is due to the explosion. So, yeah, never mind. I guess Marek was right. For some reason I thought that even before the explosion they had less people than they started with.

I really loved the last episode. But it still annoys me how neatly they managed to reverse all the important changes that happened over the last season and go back to just one battlestar and no colony. I can see the reason but I still think it just happened all too neatly and fast.

I really loved the last episode. But it still annoys me how neatly they managed to reverse all the important changes that happened over the last season and go back to just one battlestar and no colony. I can see the reason but I still think it just happened all too neatly and fast.

Yeah, I thought that the resolution to the second season was rather truncated and unsatisfying, but I'm pretty sure it ended up that way because of budgeting and the expense of filming New Caprica. Unfortunate.

Yeah during the New Caprica episodes they were apparently just burning through cash. They had to wrap it up soon and get back to using the standing sets. According to Moore they would have in fact gotten into real budget problems in the later episodes if they hadn't decided to split Exodus up in two.

I agree though, it seemed like things folded back too neatly. Clearly a lot of things changed (Galactica is way more busy, is in terrible shape, some crew will get shuffled around, etc.), but it's still an inelegant transition.

Oh well. Not complaining too much, as other series wouldn't have done the New Caprica story in the first place.

W........ what.

What happened to my show?

Oh man. ;(

Torn is a disaster.

Which by BSG standards means it's still OK television, but geez, this is not a proper BSG episode. How much fucking exposition do you need to cram into 40 minutes?

I .....

Aw fuck.

I'm a bit depressed now.

Did you see the same show as I did? Because I rather liked this episode. Yeah it's no season finaly or anything but I still liked it very much...

Perhaps you've set your standards too high after the verrry impressive season opening?

Well, I saw this as a very troubled episode. Way down there with some of the pre-Downloaded season 2 episodes. Although admittedly this episode was better than BSG's worst, I dislike it much more because of its greater importance to the ongoing story.

The episode was just so awkwardly plot-driven. (Plot as opposed to story or character development). All the ham-fisted dialog trying to explain how the Cylons work made me cringe. The Starbuck/Tigh storyline was completely rushed through, i.e. I didn't feel like matters had believably escalated to such a point that Adama had to come in and kick their ass.

I guess this episode just had a very poor script. It was 90% info dumping and/or obligatory scenes. Maybe the barrage of exposition and plotpoints did it for you but I honestly only liked them in terms of potential future stories, not in the way they were introduced and handled in this episode at all. Bah.

I know I'm being harsh. And I'm hopeful for next week.

I don't think it was that terrible. Actually, I enjoyed all of the bits on Galactica. Sure, the discontent subplot might have been a little rushed, but that was nothing compared to what they've already done this season. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's not completely taken care of yet. Obviously this is true for Tigh, and I'm hoping it's true for Starbuck as well. I was also glad to finally see Adama do something. So far this season he's pretty much taken the back seat.

I didn't particularly enjoy the Cylon shit, however. What the hell? What's with the Minority Report girl? At the end of the second season I was really looking forward to the Cylon subplot this season, but so far it's been rather disappointing. Why do they make all of the Cylon stuff so hokey? :(:tdown:

I love that episode. The cylon stuff kept me glued to the screen.

I love the basetar. They are more alive than than the battlestars. And the projection thing, ha ha baltar's face when he thought he's a cylon. I can't wait to see where all this is going.

EDIT: Anyone notice how easily the colonials could have destroyed the cylons? Poison boomer, kill her and when she resurrects she spreads the virus. The same way cylons took over the battlestars during the war.

I love that episode. The cylon stuff kept me glued to the screen.

I love the basetar. They are more alive than than the battlestars. And the projection thing, ha ha baltar's face when he thought he's a cylon. I can't wait to see where all this is going.

EDIT: Anyone notice how easily the colonials could have destroyed the cylons? Poison boomer, kill her and when she resurrects she spreads the virus. The same way cylons took over the battlestars during the war.

but she would have to be infected first, non? I mean they don't know what is going on yet... (only Balthar).... Or Balthar could have brought the satelite thingy-majig with him... haha so easy to kill, cylon-suckers (hrmmm anyways)

I was talking about s1 boomer assuming they could have engineered a poison then. They wouldn't do that this boomer(ok let's call her athena) right? She's their friend, she helped them. Oh god, will they do it? Should they do it given a chance?

Heh. Opposite reaction here. I think this was a nice, though average BSG. It occasionally had a bit too much technobabble, but it wasn't the festival of info dumping we had last week.

I don't think the genocide story worked at all, and the Helo/Athena thing was kind of a rethread, but at least it was an episode focused on telling a story as opposed to last week's Cylon Inner Workings 101.

Yeah, I agree with Marek. It was a solid episode. I have a feeling that it's going to be a turning point for the season, as it feels like they've finally found their footing again. They've either tied-up or dropped most of the sub-plots, so the show should be much more focused. It's just too bad how many things they've had to sweep under the rug to get to this point. :sad:

I wonder if they could have created another New Caprica fallout episode after Torn somehow. I wouldn't have mind if they used some internal political issue (something on a civilian ship for instance) as the A-plot while the B-plot revolves around repairs, civilians on Galactica, reshuffling of the crew, etc.

It's like the series skipped a beat.

But I agree it should be smooth sailing again now that the new pieces have been set up.

I thought it was a decent enough episode, albeit one with a kind of generic, spec-script-esque plot.

I am very confused with how Baltar's situation has apparently resolved itself. D'Anna thinks Baltar -- while being tortured, in a delusional, near-death state -- told her that he loves her (which he didn't) and apparently that's all it takes for the Cylons to drop all the (pretty damning) evidence against him, start having threesomes with him and letting him wander around the ship and help out.

And I just remembered that Caprica Six has been on the show for eight episodes now and there hasn't been a word about the phantom Baltar from Downloaded. Which is very odd, unless that was something, Lost-style, they threw in to blow people's minds without ever planning to follow through on it. Which is how I'm starting to feel about the entire New Caprica storyline, also.

And the Cylon's plan for Bulldog in this episode was really kind of pathetic. Okay, I'm done.

Yeah, that threesome thing was somewhat surprising. As for the Downloaded Baltar, I believe that RDM said in one of the podcasts that he will be making a reappearance at some point later in the season. It's still disappointing how they've just forgotten about him currently though.

Season 1: :tup: :tup:

Season 2: :tup::tmeh:

Season 3: :tmeh: ?

I'm still holding out that it will get better though.

This episode was alright. Spec-script-esque indeed, but to a tolerable level. The performances were good, and coloring in some of the details that happened before the invasion was cool.

Not sure if anyone noticed this, or if it's significant at all, but the soundtrack of this episode had a very brief segment of the reversed Six theme in it (on the basestar, I think during the threesome scene). It's the theme they used in Downloaded for Head Baltar. It might be some musical foreshadowing.

The explanation for the entire Baseship arc, I think, is that Number Three is completely insane.

This episode was a little shaky, but the actors did a good job with it IMO.

Damn it, they're moving the second half of the third season to Sunday evening. Does anyone know if that's a more desirable time slot or is it getting the shaft?

Any thoughts on the latest episode? I thought it was on the right track as far as re-establishing the characters goes, but it had some short-comings. They should have had this episode right after collaborators, or at least an episode like it. It's plot was stretched a little thin for a 40+ minute episode. It would have been much better if they'd cut out some of the uninteresting party flash-backs and the what-not, and replaced them with a couple of threads involving some of the other characters besides Lee and Kara. I have to admit, I don't think they could have come up with a better resolution for their storyline. Also, they should have had Hotdog fight Kat and completely destroy her. :owned: :owned: :tup: Oh, and what the hell were they doing with Adama and Laura? :tdown:

Oh, and what the hell were they doing with Adama and Laura? :tdown:

According to the podcast (which has Tamoh Penikett [Helo] and Grace Park [sharon] in addition to the usual RDM), Adama and Roslin were high on New Caprica. I honestly can't tell if he's joking or not.

Also, Moore's summary of the episode is, "How much do you hate Starbuck?", which I think I found much funnier that it actually is.

I thought that the boxing frame sucked ass, while the actual character development was nice.

I liked this one. The writer's intentions were good. What I disliked though was how much boxing footage was shown. We don't have to see a crowd yelling all the time, or people exchanging space bucks or whatever they use. They spent too much time in the editing on things in or around the boxing ring that don't really matter, and it really dragged things down. 5 minutes less of that, and 5 minutes more dialog, could have completely corrected the balance.

But, anyway, I prefer this episode to all the ones since Collaborator.