Spaff

ScummVM DS - Sam and max video

http://us.codejunkies.com/shop/product.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&ProdID=750

I bought this one instead. Doesn't come with the 4GB HD but rather uses compact flash cards. This suits me better since I can have a whole bunch of CF cards with different things on them. Holding thumbs that they will release some better software to deal with the problems posed in the above review. Otherwise I guess I'll have to write my own :P.

It's all very nice, but as much as I love playing these games I'd still rather play them again on PC instead and keep my DS playing Mario Kart, Metroid Prime Hunters, Sonic Rush, Mario 64, Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time, Resident Evil: Deadly Silence and, just arrived this morning, New Super Mario Bros.

That's more than I'm playing on PC at the moment!

Having being pointed towards this thread, I'll briefly put in my 2c:

It's amazing what the creator of this thingobob has done (I've managed to get MI 1 & 2, Loom, Atlantis, Sam & Max and DOTT running without any trouble) but the position of the stylus point on the touch screen seems to be a little off at the moment. For example, if you 'click' on the screen to make your character walk, he/she will end up a little to the right (or is it left? I forget) of where you pressed the stylus. Aside from this little quibble, it really is quite amazing, and I haven't had any trouble with it.

However, I'd still rather play these games on the PC - but it certainly proves to developers/publishers that adventure games can work quite well on the system.

Yeah, but really wouldn't Trace Memory and Phoenix Wright have done that already? Plus, they're actually designed for the system so there aren't any config problems.

Maybe LucasArts should release Adventure Classics for the DS, save people the trouble of all this (and maybe even make the text slightly bigger for whoever complained in the gameboy thread).

Aussie Ben, have you tried the most recent version of scummvm ds? It just came out a couple of weeks ago. I'm not having any trouble with touch screen accuracy.

Miffy, while I think it's awesome in its own right, the whole point of something like this is so that you can play good old classic scumm games where ever. You're not going to lug a computer around so you can play SMI on a bus, are you? I'm definitely going to be playing when I fly back to Budapest this Christmas. The DS has the advantage here again, because even if I were to play it on my laptop I could only get a couple hours into it before my battery dies. Speaking of which, I wonder how long the DS's battery holds out running one of these things. Whatever it is, it's almost certain to be longer than two hours.

This version of Goomba works much much better with the GBAMP. It still doesn't work with bigger GB games, but at least I can play stuff like Link's Awakening and Metroid now even if I can't play Wario Land.

Maybe LucasArts should release Adventure Classics for the DS, save people the trouble of all this (and maybe even make the text slightly bigger for whoever complained in the gameboy thread).

Good one.

http://us.codejunkies.com/shop/product.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&ProdID=750

I bought this one instead. Doesn't come with the 4GB HD but rather uses compact flash cards. This suits me better since I can have a whole bunch of CF cards with different things on them. Holding thumbs that they will release some better software to deal with the problems posed in the above review. Otherwise I guess I'll have to write my own :P.

Let us know if you have any better luck with it.

They may not have the rights to some of the best games. They definitely don't have the rights to Sam & Max.

They don't? Who does, Telltale? I assumed that they maintained the original game, if not the franchise.

I'm probably going to get a DS Lite soon (US release in a couple weeks), so I need to figure out what the simplest and/or cheapest route is to get this thing running. The screen turned blue on my sister's DS, so I guess it's version 2, but I obviously want something that will work when I get a Lite.

I just finished playing through SMI on my DS. I completely charged the battery before starting and only played SMI on it with the volume on max. I was worried that it might eat the battery, but I finished it without even the red warning light turning on. I'm not certain how many hours I played. I'm guessing that games like DotT or Sam & Max are a bit harder on the battery though.

They don't? Who does, Telltale? I assumed that they maintained the original game, if not the franchise.

The original game is probably tied up in limbo, with the game content owned by LucasArts (they certainly own the engine and technology) and the franchise rights signed to Telltale. So they might be able to do a new game (if they have more than just PC rights, which they may not), but they coudln't port the old one.

This stuff is complicated.

They may not have the rights to some of the best games. They definitely don't have the rights to Sam & Max.

They have the rights to all the others. They might actually still have the rights to sell Hit the Road too. Not that they will.

I'm pretty sure LucasArts could re-release Hit the Road if they wanted, but they couldn't do any new Sam & Max stuff.