miffy495

Yoshi's Island 2

Well, this hasn't been put into a thread yet, so I figured I'd start one. I'm incredibly pumped for this game. Kirby, Star Fox, Ouendan are all great, but Yoshi is where it's at. After playing Topsy Turvy (totally dissappointing) and Touch n' Go (not bad if you aren't expecting a real platformer) my appetite is whetted for something real. If how New SMB and Super Paper Mario look are any indication, I'm in for a treat. I love Ninty's return to 2D platforming now. Anyway, the main reason for this thread, check out the trailer on IGN. I'm not positive, but I think Donkey Kong Junior is riding Yoshi at one point. Doesn't this create some whole in space-time? Isn't DKJr supposed to rescue DK from adult Mario? Or is this baby DK, in which case he and Yoshi should be rivals? Confusing, but looks like it could be fun. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that I've always found Yoshi to be very annoying as a character. However, Yoshi's Island was extremely good and I look forward to seeing its sequel on the DS. However, outside of that I don't really care for Yoshi's in Smash Bros or Mario Parties or Karts. I'm sorry to disappoint.

well, the love for Yoshi mostly stems from the fact that I can play Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, SF64, or Ouendan any time I feel like it, but Yoshi has gone without any real non-party-game love for a long time. Let's face it: Topsy Turvy and Touch n' Roll were both proof-of-concept products that had Yoshi slapped on them to make them marketable. Now there's some legitimate platforming going on. I don't know what prompted this 2D renaissance, (Sonic Rush, Super Princess Peach, New SMB, Kirby DS, Yoshi's Island 2, Super Paper Mario) but I'm damn happy to see it.

Well, my guess would be that people had finally exhausted their ideas for 3D platformers and can now finally CHOOSE between 2D and 3D instead of having to do 3D because it's the hot thing to do. Glad to see the industry unshackling itself as such.

Well, Nintendo in any case.

I think the screens on a handheld are just too small to do 3D in any meaningful and immersive manner, for a lot of game genres. The ones that do work (e.g. Metroid Prime Hunters) are notable for how action-oriented/cut-down-in-depth they are compared to their home console siblings.

I totally missed Yoshi's Island though. What's the big deal?

Yoshi's Island for SNES was excellent. Couldn't help loving those weird graphics, and if I remember correctly, the boss fight was totally awesome too. Yet another reason to buy a Wii.

Also, Yoshi is annoying? After trying to catch that wailing baby Mario for a thousand time, I was ready to commit acts of extreme violence and blame it all on video games.

I'm really excited too! The second I heard it was coming out, I called up one of my friends who's a big YI fan. It sucks that it took this long, but at least the first one was released on GBA.

I'm not positive, but I think Donkey Kong Junior is riding Yoshi at one point. Doesn't this create some whole in space-time?

Well I don't know about that, accuracy doesn't really concern me though, heh. In one video I saw Peach riding Yoshi, so there are definitely new characters! Peach had her parasol, and Yoshi was able to float down! So it actually changes the gameplay as well.

Yoshi's Island remains one of the greatest 2D platformers ever created, and I thoroughly anticipate its sequel. If you've never played the original, good God, get yourself an emulator and try it out. You're missing out on one of the best Mario universe platformers ever.

The only thing that saddened me is that they decided to switch to the noises that Yoshi makes as of Yoshi's Story, which I don't really like — too babyish. Other than that, it looks great.

I think the screens on a handheld are just too small to do 3D in any meaningful and immersive manner, for a lot of game genres. The ones that do work (e.g. Metroid Prime Hunters) are notable for how action-oriented/cut-down-in-depth they are compared to their home console siblings.

I totally missed Yoshi's Island though. What's the big deal?

Played Mario 64DS? It works really, really well. 3D is not a problem on the DS, and while there may not be a whole lot of it available, when it is used the screen size has never seemed to pose a problem. Also, get Yoshi's Island for the GBA. NOW.

Actually, if it's all the same to you, gentlemen, I've long since decided I'll wait for the Wii. That way I'll get to play Yoshi's Island on the big screen again, in all its glory.

Actually, if it's all the same to you, gentlemen, I've long since decided I'll wait for the Wii. That way I'll get to play Yoshi's Island on the big screen again, in all its glory.

Hey, that's a great idea. I'm glad you mentioned it because I was thinking of getting the GBA versions of Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World this summer. It'd make much more sense just to wait.

It makes even more sense when you consider that GBA games are always ridiculously priced and never, ever go budget. Not the upper tier in any case. And so you get crazy situations where something like Yoshi's Island -which has been around for over a year and a half, or two, or whatever- still costs 45 Euros.

Thank god that DS games are treated like real console titles, with all the fluctuations in price that go with it.

Why didn't a Wii-ified Yoshi's Island occur to me? God. That'll be the first thing streaming down my virtual console line.

And yeah, 3D works really well on the DS. To say otherwise would mean you either a) Have not played it, or B) Are shit.

And yeah, 3D works really well on the DS. To say otherwise would mean you either a) Have not played it, or B) Are shit.

I didn't say 3D just plain didn't work. I meant 3D didn't work in the getting-really-immersed kinda way. You only need to put something like Castlevania next to something like the Splinter Cell to see how much more fine detail you can get out of the screen when you put 2D up on it. The screen language is suited to different things, in the same way that TV is suited to different things from what you'd put on a cinema screen.

I completely contest the notion that 3D on the DS can't be immersive or meaningful, which is what you said earlier. Granted, 2D can simply be done better (New Super Mario Bros!), but with the right treatment 3D can work great too.

Hell, when I was last playing Mario Kart DS, it felt like I was there. There, man.

I'll grant you that one, "meaningful" was a dumb word to use. I think the size of screen definitely changes the type of immersion you can achieve though.

About that Mario 64 DS, thing. When you say it works really well, would you be playing with the D-pad or with the stylus? I didn't find either of them very accurate.

Also, is the DS Lite not fond of diagonal movement?

Thumbstrap, man. All about the thumbstrap. It takes a bit of adjustment, but once you get it, it's brilliant.

I actually played halfway through Mario 64DS just using the d-pad and normal buttons. And even that worked very well!

I concur about what was said about Mario Kart. That is just awesome 3D, right there on the DS. It works. Hey, and how does Rayman look and play? Is it OK in comparison to Mario?

Thumbstrap, eh? Is that something that is obtainable separate from an entirely new DS?

Rodi: After reading a bunch of reviews, AVOID Rayman DS at all costs, and play a real version.

toblix: As I mentioned in another thread, I got my local gamecrazy employee to give me a thumbstrap off one of the used DSs! Other than that, I don't think you can get them anywhere.

Rayman DS is kind of cheap right now, but I've read some reviews too and they say it's also mediocre at best. I fear that it's just a sloppy version then. However, I think I'll just try to find some copy somewhere to try it out for myself. That'll be the only way to know for sure if it's good or not.

If you really want to play Rayman 2, just wait and Virtual Console it, like everyone seems to be doing with Yoshi's Island. I know the first thing I'm gonna get is Super Mario RPG, but Rayman may be a close second as I've never played it.

And toblix, trust me on this one, I've been looking. I really wanted to get one for my Lite as it's not included, and I ended up having to convince my sister to give me the thumbstrap off of her original as she has never used it. Not sold separately. Maybe eBay, if you're lucky, but I don't think it likely anyone will be selling theirs now that they aren't including them anymore.

If you really want to play Rayman 2, just wait and Virtual Console it, like everyone seems to be doing with Yoshi's Island. I know the first thing I'm gonna get is Super Mario RPG, but Rayman may be a close second as I've never played it.

The only draw back being that it might be a while before they release it.