Sign in to follow this  
hermes

Marc Ecko's Getting Up

Anyone of you playing this? I'm playing right now - and I think it is quite nice.

It sort of reminds me a bit of Beyond Good and Evil - with the double gameplay of taking pictures /fighting fascists replaced by painting grafiti / fighting fascists. While the fighting is executed quite nice - I think there is to much of it - and the sneaking is ridiculous - mostly because of the bloody camera's (on pc anyways). But the painting is nicely executed - and there is many great pieces you can make. All in all the feel of the game makes up for what is less-great.

I've played a little but so far I don't like it that much.

After viewing Consolevania's review, I lost all interest. The fighting just looked way too boring and standard fare to motive looking at pretty pictures as well as the actual purchase. Pretty funny review though.

well the fighting is really just a necessary evil (and its not totally terrible). What I get is a somewhat interesting story - a story anyways - there is character developement and a moody world to explore. And the grafiti is great. There is one scene where you battle an opponent - you are both rapelling down an big tunnel-overhead and competing in who finishes his giant piece first. All the while your mates shout at you and a television-copter is passing by commenting it - great!

But sure - that's the up's. The other stuff is somewhat annoying....

Is it Jet Set/Grind Radio-style joystick motions graffiti, or another technique? Did I mention on a Revolution thread that I think the Rev controller would be great for a graffiti thing?

I guess that now I have to halt marketing development on "nsps's Getting Up," an epic, 16-level game about trying to get out of bed in the morning.

Also coming soon: Mark Ecko's Getting It Up. A tale of a graffiti artist and his struggle with impotence.

Is it Jet Set/Grind Radio-style joystick motions graffiti, or another technique? Did I mention on a Revolution thread that I think the Rev controller would be great for a graffiti thing?

Hmm SetJep RindGradio-style... Don't know... Well there is an outline of the piece you're going to make, and then you move your hand and spray over, and it will fill out. You have to take care not to spray to long in one place, as it will make drips - which aren't nice. Also there is a time-limit, if you extend beyond the time limit you'll get less respect. This is of course to emulate that what you're doing is illegal and you cannot linger around to long - sometimes you'll have to hurry while guards and security cameras is looking the other way.

It sounds rather dull - but actually it works surprisingly well - and the sounds are just great - somehow it all makes what on paper seems like a stupid waste-of-time gameplay mechanic really enjoyable....

So Warriors-style. I never got a chance to play JGR, but Jet Set Radio Future simply had you pulling on a shoulder button as you got near something to tag. I believe that from what I heard, JGR has a more similar style to Warriors/Getting Up, but is still quite simplified.

In JGR, once you were at the graffiti post, you had to do a series of controller stick moves (semi- and quarter-circles, etc.), depending on the intricacy of the graffiti.