SoccerDude28

Tim Schafer on Icons today on G4

Today on Icons on G4Tv they will have an episode about Tim Schafer and they will talk about Psychonauts. I love how he's getting major recognition now :grin: Make sure you guys watch it. It's at 7:00 PM Pacific standard time.

Pro tip: Record the aforementioned program to access the bonus level.

Seeing as I still haven't played anything but the demo, should I expect a lot of spoilers? I will never play Psychonauts. :frusty:

What I hate about G4 and Techtv from the little I've seen (I really never had those channels) is that they treat Tim Schafer as the creator and destroyer of all adventure games, and the creator of every LucasArts game.

Also, he's "creative". The word "creative" is used by dumb bastards who don't understand anything beyond the normal.

What I hate about G4 and Techtv from the little I've seen (I really never had those channels) is that they treat Tim Schafer as the creator and destroyer of all adventure games, and the creator of every LucasArts game.

I admittedly haven't seen much of those channels either, but I never got that vibe. Usually they just say "creator of such games as Full Throttle and Grim Fandango", they don't even always use the term "adventure games". Again, though, I've only seen a few segments with Tim.

Also, he's "creative". The word "creative" is used by dumb bastards who don't understand anything beyond the normal.

Uh, I might just be a dumb bastard, but Schafer is one of the few designers in the game industry I WOULD describe as "creative".

Jeez, Remo, don't you know exaggeration? :hah:

They credit Tim a lot for Monkey Island, (they always say "Monkey Island, Full Throttle, and Grim Fandango") which he deserves some of it, I guess, but Ron invented that world! And when they refer to Monkey Island, they show screenshots of Escape...

... and once on techtv he was credited for making Curse of Monkey Island, or at least it was made so it sounded like he did. I wouldn't be suprised if this icons shows screws it up again.

They reviewed moment of silence recently (which apparently blows) and once again someone said something like "adventure games have died since their daddy left." and by their daddy they meant Tim.

It's the best show I have seen on G4. It goes from double fine's crunch time development of psychonauts where you see where tim works and meet all his employees, to all the games he worked on. The show is usually half an hour long, but for Tim, they made it one hour. And netmonkey, the whole show was a big tribute for Tim and his greatness. I really hope someone has taped it :yep:

Oh, I got a team working on that ;)

I'll get you guys the link sometime when it's up.

Wooooooooooo

Other than some obnoxious editing and effects (and poor location sound), the show is quite good. They don't credit Tim for creating Monkey Island, but spend a lot of time talking about him writing for it. I would have liked to maybe see Ron talk about it a little too. I think the voice-over also said "Tim and his collaborators" at one point (after saying Gilbert created it) while talking about the game, which may offend some.

Also, Tim says that GF met its business goals and that he doesn't know why it's considered a financial disaster.

It also talks about how adventure games were dwindling as each of Tim's games were released, but then says DotT and FT were big hits. So yeah, I'm sure some adventure nuts might have a problem with that. But overall, a cool look into Tim's work.

I have the show recorded, but no experience putting it on the internet, so hopefully netmonkey can do it.

I watched that a couple days ago I think, and if I remember correctly the opening to it went something like this:

Guy: Hey, could somebody tell us where we might find Tim Schafer, creator of such games as Grim Fandango and Full Throttle?

Girl: I think he's right here with us in the studio, Zachary!

Guy: Wow! Hi Tim!

It nearly made me weep. But Tim is great. I might be thinking about a different interview he recently had?

I watched that a couple days ago I think, and if I remember correctly the opening to it went something like this:

Guy: Hey, could somebody tell us where we might find Tim Schafer, creator of such games as Grim Fandango and Full Throttle?

Girl: I think he's right here with us in the studio, Zachary!

Guy: Wow! Hi Tim!

It nearly made me weep. But Tim is great. I might be thinking about a different interview he recently had?

I think you are talking about the interview with the guy and the 2 girls. Yeah that show was retarded. This one is a show about hallmarks in gaming history, and there are no hosts, just Tim talking. Like a documentary about Tim :)

Ah, right. Yeah, that show was ridiculous. It seemed somehow patronising or something...

Tim offers a couple of amusing tidbits too, such as when he praised Ballblaster, the name for the pirated version of Ballblazer, during his original Lucasfilm Games interview. I also didn't know that DOTT was based, however loosely, on a concept by Ron Gilbert.

Tim offers a couple of amusing tidbits too, such as when he praised Ballblaster, the name for the pirated version of Ballblazer, during his original Lucasfilm Games interview. I also didn't know that DOTT was based, however loosely, on a concept by Ron Gilbert.

I think gilbert gets co-credited for DOTT's concept and "additional game design" in the DOTT opening credits along with his "based on characters by" credit... something like that.

Yeah but I never connected the dots. I just kind of assumed it was all part of the obligatory "he created the first game" honoring.

I never knew how involved he was or anything, but always suspected that some of the initial sequel plans may have been hatched by Gilbert before he left.

Yeah, he said "Well, gotta go make some Humongous games. BTW! There needs to be a sequel to Maniac Mansion."

... and they lived happily ever after?

I'm sure he'd came up with some idea of a sequel, I just didn't realize he actually had something concrete that Grossman and Schafer could go by that resulted in DOTT. The games are just so unbelievably different.

I'm sure he'd come up with some idea of a sequel, I just didn't realize he actually had something concrete that Grossman and Schafer could go by that resulted in DOTT. The games are just so unbelievably different.
That is why they are awesome designers.

That is why they are awesome designers.

Indeed. And why I wish MM would have been a bigger series. Thanks to DOTT, any third game could be as insane and creative as ever, without having to follow much of a guideline.

I always think of Full Throttle as a sequel to DOTT.

You know that Ben and Hoagie are brothers, right?