Bc9b

It's number ten! (also contains discussion of Bad Day LA, and the city of LA)

Trep you're talking about something totally different than the point of this thread.... Maybe you should start a new thread about it?? :P

Trep.. what the FUCK is that?

it looks cool

heh.

but yes Psychonauts GO GO GO

It's a new game by American McGee:

American McGee resurfaces with Bad Day L.A.

Alice creator's first project since relocating to Hong Kong will be a comedic actioner sending up the West's "fear culture."

...gamers will be "thrust behind the shopping cart of a homeless-man-turned-city-saving crusader." The main character, one Anthony Williams, is a "reluctant hero who left behind the privileged life of a successful Hollywood agent after losing his self-respect." Williams encounters a number of challenges while traveling around the titular Southern California metropolis, including zombies, terrorists, and earthquakes.

I just noticed the headline clicking on Bc9b's link to the Gamespot news.

:grin: Um, yeah, very nice that Psychonauts is in the Top 10.

that sounds awesome!!! especially that bit about the main character's past in the movie business... priceless

Oh yeah and props to Psychonauts!

EDIT: Yay!

that sounds awesome!!! especially that bit about the main character's past in the movie business... priceless

"...it's a very story-driven action adventure title. All movement through the game is about overcoming obstacles in humorous ways."

And it's gonna have ZOMBIES!! Zombies in L.A.!! :woohoo:

Yay to Psychonauts!!

And it's gonna have ZOMBIES!! Zombies in L.A.!! :woohoo:

After a month here, L.A. is the last place I want any game to be set in :deranged:

Every time I have been to Los Angeles, something terrible has happened. That place freaks me out.

E3?

Last year's E3 had its fair share of terrible incidents. But there are oh so many others!

That city is one huge weird vibe. Even 8 years later, when I went back and visited there last December, I could still feel it. Seriously, you NEED to have an ironic sense of humour to survive that town.

I was once mugged in downtown LA. After that, I never set foot there at night.

Really? I LOVED walking in L.A. late at night, nothing ever happened to me. I used to walk around in my neighbourhood at 2am, and I lived just off of Hollywood & Vine, near Mann's Chinese Theater and the Walk of Fame.

Really? I LOVED walking in L.A. late at night, nothing ever happened to me. I used to walk around in my neighbourhood at 2am, and I lived just off of Hollywood & Vine, near Mann's Chinese Theater and the Walk of Fame.

That's the nice part of LA isn't it? I was mugged close to USC (downtown). The guy stuck a gun in my back and said that my wallet was his. I just gave it to him. I didn't have much money on me thank god, but I had to go through the trouble of changing all my credit cards afterwards.

But what the hell is that really crappy wrestling game doing on the charts? Hopefully it will drop off quickly due to the bad ratings it's getting, and hopefully more people will pick up psychonauts. Psychonauts deserves better than position 10, but at least it didn't bomb like I kinda feared.

guys, we're talking about psychnauts here ... a game full of cutesy characters, from this "tim schaf-a-who-a?" person, with no realistic weapons, locations, or ragdoll physics. there is (AFAIK) none of that "You Bitch!" nonsense here, no running over peds, etc, etc ...

the fact that it made it to #10 is amazing ... im sure all of us feared it would bomb, so im really glad it made it to #10 ...

... does it deserve better? sure it does. should the guys at double fine & majesco be proud of it hitting #10? absolutely.

SiN

Perhaps that is why after like 20 years of making wrestling games, they're still crappy as fuck. Maybe eople buy them with their eyes closed! Ugh.

My friend has like 5 wrestling games on N64, but I don't think he has Super Mario 64... wtf!

It certainly isn't the type of game that sells itself. At first glance it could pass for some kind of kid's game, but it's definitely not for kids. Some of the levels near the end of the game have some pretty creepy stuff in them, and it's not the type of thing I'd want to be playing as a kid. That puts it in an awkward position of being for an older audience but looking like it's for a younger audience. I suspect there are a lot of people who would probably enjoy it if they gave it a chance, but who might pass it up simply based on its cartoony style. It's a relief that it made the top 10. It definitely seems like a word-of-mouth game to me, though, the kind whose sales will best be judged over the long term. It's really lame that other than these weekly sales charts it's very difficult to guage a game's long-term sales if the game in question isn't a million+ seller.

It's a similar problem nintendo has, and in the US they seem to sell everything with a this-is-extrem0r image, even though a lot of the games are made for all ages to enjoy. Like how do they sell the Nintendo DS? "Touch me! Down there... you pervert! *moan*"

I'm waiting for the PS2 version to come out so I can start selling the game to my xbox-less friends. :D

I'm waiting for the PS2 version to come out so I can start selling the game to my xbox-less friends. :D

Pfft. Amateur. All my Xbox-less friends were sold on it two months ago. Probably because I never shut up about it.

Well I think Majesco did a wonderful job of marketting the game. You saw it in tons of magazine before it was released, and then you had a commercial for it on Howard Stern (a radio talk show here in America with 7+ million listeners mostly in the 18-40 age group), and Tim was on Gamespot's On the spot, and even more mainstream on G4tv. And I've seen its commercial on MTV a few times. That's great marketting, and Majesco was a wonderful find for Double Fine. EA killed Oddworld Stranger's wrath because they didn't market it well.