jp-30

The best football game ever - Kick Off on the amiga.

By the way, The Bitmap Brothers did a sequel to Speedball 2 in 2000, called Speedball 2100, which was only for Playstation, but anyway.

It wasn't a sequel, I was working at Sony when that piece of sh*t turned up. The least said about 2100, the better

Hmm. Hoping Kick Off / Kick Off 2 (or Speedball / speedball 2) get covered on Throwback Thursday sometime... :yep:

Speedball on the Psone would have been good but they made one very big mistake (like capcom making the EO option the default on SNK vs Capcom 2), they took the skill out of winning.

The original Speedball 2 had only one button that did everything depending on the context of the game. This meant that the player couldn't punch their opponent while carrying the ball.

This simple logic made the player a defenceless target who relied on their ability to dodge attacks while carrying the ball.

The flaw was introducing an attack button while holding the ball. This meant lesser AI and player teams got owned because it was possible to wade through the opposition. Thus all the fine balance of the game ruined in one foul swoop.

Plus it would have been nice to introduce a few new teams, a world tour, more leagues etc. But the dev team royally screwed up by leaving the game pretty much untouchewd in that area.

On the topic though... I only played Kick off on the Master System, and that machine blatantly couldn't handle it, poor little bugger.

Going back to the original topic...

I'm not a big football (soccer, for me) at all. In fact, it could be said I don't like it at all.

However, no game has ever gotten me to play soccer like Sensible Soccer did way back when. Seriously.

Hmm. Hoping Kick Off / Kick Off 2 (or Speedball / speedball 2) get covered on Throwback Thursday sometime... :yep:

I hope that day arrives in the *near* future. :tup:

Many an afternoon was spent at my buddy's house, playing football (that's "Soccer", for you americans who are still here despite the fucking atrocious language) on his Amiga.

Couldn't agree with you more about the soccer thing. I'm american and even I don't understand it. I guess it's cuz I'm somwhat bi-cultural(mexican-american), and we call it 'futbol' in spanish.

I didn't own amiga, but luckily my friend had NES and excellent game World Cup! Kamerun, special kicks and unconscious players in the field. Easily the best football game I have ever played.

world_cup_01.gif

Had that on the Game boy, like NBA Jam in relation to Basketball, it had as little to with real football as possible. It was sweet.

I was going to name Sega Soccer Slam as my favourite football game, now I'm not sure...