Sign in to follow this  
chromatose

Games that never were...

Just to be clear, I liked CMI. That was more of a jab at those who don't like it just because Ron Gilbert wasn't behind it. Not many of those here, I'd imagine.

(Sorry, I'm playing catch up here) Personally, I really enjoyed Curse. Sure, it wasn't "Ron Gilbert Presents The Third Monkey Island Game", but it didn't seem to suffer because of it. The guys did a brilliant job of working their way out of the Python-esque ending that Lechuck's Revenge threw at you (best ending ever for a video game, I reckon - or definitely up there near the top), while getting back into the swing of things really quickly. It also had the Scrooge McDuck/Mr. Ed voice actor in there. How cool is that?

The one thing I don't like about Curse is that Elaine agrees to marry Guybrush, when it was quite clear in Revenge that there were some serious issues with that relationship - namely, that Guybrush is a pig, and he only is interested in using Elaine to get what he wants (but let's face it, that's every adventure game character's motivation, isn't it?). I thought that having Elaine and Guybrush hook up was really out of character for both of them. At any rate, I liked it much better than Escape (which I refuse to acknowledge the existence of. Sorry.).

Anyway, back to the topic, how about...ooer, all the good games have already been taken...er:

That Toonstruck Sequel? That looked like it was going to be fun, at least if the first game was anything to go by. ...well, I liked it.

I think Ron Gilbert earned perhaps too much notoriety from Monkey Island. You can't forget that Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman co-wrote it (and they later made Day of the Tentacle together). I think Ron Gilbert couldn't handle the pressures of being this "gaming genius" and that's why he's done pretty much nothing except games like "Putt Putt Goes to the Zoo" etc.

Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman both proved themselves several times after Monkey Island whereas Ron Gilbert seems to live on his fame. Actually I'm pretty sure I remember a quote from RG where he was complaining about the pressures he felt to please "the fans". Even Monkey Island 2 made several references of how "people always want more" etc etc. I don't think RG had THAT much of an input into MI2's dialogue, as the undertone of the whole game is disgruntlement. Afterwards he left LucasArts to do what? Make that childrens game he'd always wanted to make?

Give me Tim Schafer anyday... a tried and true game designer!

Toonstruck! That was a great game too! Shame they went under!

Beyond good and evil 2. I was bummed to see no sequel for this game.

Also a proper sequel for Prince of persia sands of time, not the crap they came up with.

Rebirth.

It was a GameCube demo in 2001 by an obscured japanese CGI animation company called Mix-Core, Nintendo funded the project to show GameCube's FMV capabilities.

It's basically about a tree branch that gets hit by lightening and comes to life.

The demo was full of beautiful sceneries, pretty animals and a couple of stunning music tracks that really fit the ambiance of the demo.

With all my hopes for the project you can imagine how disappionted I was that Nintendo never meant for it to be an actual game, instead just leaving it as an outstanding demo and leaving me the question: what if?

Also: Sam & Max 2 (Bloody Lucas) and a Gamecube version of Psychonauts (it may happen... some day... I hope.)

If you want to see a couple of Rebirth movies, just run a search at IGN. (I won't post a link because you got to work for it, people.)

About Curse of Monkey Island, it was my first adventure game (I was around 10 or 11 at the time) and one of the absolute finest games I had the privilege of playing. I'm starting to think that some people just disliked it because Gilbert wasn't the project leader or involved in any way. I know it's your opinion, but all I have to say to you is: for shame, for shame.