Chris

Resident Evil 4

RE4 is out and after playing it at a few events I really really want to own it but I can't for a while due to my GameCube not being available at the moment. Anyway, this post is mainly an excuse to post this excerpt from Tycho's Penny Arcade initial impressions of the game:

There's all sorts of alterations to the trademark gameplay, which I'm sure you've heard a thousand times - in the same way that the Chunky line of soups remain soups yet eat as though they were meals.

Yeah, that pretty much rules.

I don't get it? Does he mean the new game plays like chunky soup? Slow and with big unidentifiable lumps of meat/vegetables?

Woah, your massive avatar adds a huge swath of empty space after your sentence...its like post modern posting.

So how do YOU interpret the space? Because, let's face it, it can mean anything we want it to :D.

Me and a few buddies have been soiling our pants in anticipation for this game for months. Hairraising awkwardness abides.

just got my import version and it's thick and chunky so far.

They've translated the atmosphere extremely well, and the camera contributes a lot to this. might say more later.

edit: the thumb finger says dfan has been updated. whuh?

hmm in the tradition of idle thumbs i'll decline to give you any actual information, you can go to gamespot for that.

however, one thing i really welcome is the disappearance of typewriter ribbons, even though they made the originals really nervy as it was a bit more like trapezing without a safety net.

do buy it, though!

im just worrying about the 2nd disc.

with freeloader, you put in the disc, then the game disc, and this allows your cube to read jap or us games with no hassle.

but when i put in the 2nd disc halfway through the game, is it gonna blow up on me?

that's what's really nail-biting about the game.

I meant more like "it's good!" "it's baaad" and not how many diferent types of zombies you can kill. Gonna wait for the Europe release though... I'm too lazy to bother with loaders. :mock:

hmm in the tradition of idle thumbs i'll decline to give you any actual information, you can go to gamespot for that.

however, one thing i really welcome is the disappearance of typewriter ribbons, even though they made the originals really nervy as it was a bit more like trapezing without a safety net.

do buy it, though!

im just worrying about the 2nd disc.

with freeloader, you put in the disc, then the game disc, and this allows your cube to read jap or us games with no hassle.

but when i put in the 2nd disc halfway through the game, is it gonna blow up on me?

that's what's really nail-biting about the game.

Yeah it breaks when you put the second disc in. Always.

RE4 is a good bit of fun (at least the first 8 hours), but the amazing review scores are kind of head scratching. The atmosphere and graphics are great, but besides for the swarming-enemy style gameplay, there is no innovation...sometimes it almost feels like a GunCon game.

It's well balanced difficulty-wise though, and better than any other recent action game.

A game doesn't necessarily have to be super-innovative to be great. I've already spoken to a few people who have played through the entire game and they've all said it's just an incredibly solid experience the whole way through.