Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

HL2: Stuttering fixed (supposedly)

Haven't tried this yet, but

Half-Life 2

• Fixed sound stuttering problems caused by thread contention in sound system

Yay! And so much for it not being a sound system issue (I think one of the developers said that).

Mine stutters frequently, but I solve that by turning the texture and/or model quality down a notch. It stutters because my computer isn't awesome enough (and I probably don't have enough RAM). Hopefully people aren't just expecting HL2 to run without occasional chunking on their not-brand-new computers now that there is a patch? ¬

This problem happens on high-end computers too. And can you name another game where the SOUND skips and stutters when the frame rate get slow.

I'm kinda losing track now... This is another stutter fix? I thought Valve already released one (that didn't work for me)?

--Erwin

I'm on a 6600gt, 2.6ghz P4 and 512mb DDR. It's not a top-end system, but it ought to be more than adequate for HL2. I've spoken to loads of people who are running it fully at a smooth rate, one of which is on a 9600 and I've been to his house and seen it first hand. :~

What's even more infuriating is that it will be smooth as pie between the frequent stutters. It couldn't be any smoother. Urgh. >:

I don't get it. Defrag didn't help? 'Cause the damn thing was just fine for me before I defragged (with only occasional stuttering after checkpoints) and noticeably better after.

In my case defrag didn't help. But in my case it's also probably because I was running it with higher detail settings than I should.

Yeah, I've tried everything. Defragging, different drivers, removing the sound card, sound drivers, all of Valve's patches and fixes, running all settings on low -- none of it helps.

Another thing worth noting is that I played HL2 without the stutter (it was just generally slow, but it wasn't stuttery) on this exact same system a few weeks earlier, except instead of my new DX9 nvidia 6600gt, it was a DX8 ti4200. Most people who complain of the stuttering also seem to have DX9 nvidia cards. :/

I did experiance a stutter at the beginning of the game. But not it doesn't happen anymore. I figure it got patched without me noticing through Steam. But before the stutter went away I did a number of things including changing vid drivers, defrag, changed some CMOS settings, and used some weird console command. Nothing really seemed to help.

I was helping a friend who has the stuttering problem, so I defragged his HD with Windows' own defrag tool. Guess what it said at the end?

The following files have not been defragmented:

Size: 1.01 GB Filename: \Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\source materials.gcf

:shifty: That was the file it was all about.

I was helping a friend who has the stuttering problem, so I defragged his HD with Windows' own defrag tool. Guess what it said at the end?

Size: 1.01 GB Filename: \Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\source materials.gcf

Ahahahaha, that's hilarious. :clap:

--Erwin

Umm... didn't I post in another thread, telling that even getting that file defragged didn't help.

I might not have paid attention to your post because I don't have problems with the game myself. :mock:

Can you defragment specific files? If so, how?

I did a full defragmentation (for other reasons) since installing HL2 and it didn't clear up the problems. There have been some patches since then though, and it'd probably be worth trying it again.. except it says I now can't defragment because I don't have 15% HD free. D:!

Can you defragment specific files? If so, how?
Not with windows's own defragger. I think I also moved these files to another drive, then defragged and moved them back.

mine stutters at load points, and i have a pretty high-end laptop, but im REALLY not bothered to fix it ... it stutturs for like 2 seconds or something ... i can live with that! im FAR to busy enjoying the game

(and pissing in my pants as im currently in ravenholm)

to bother to screw with the game.

SiN