Rob Zacny

Three Moves Ahead 557: Cantata Interview

Three Moves Ahead 557:

Three Moves Ahead 557

Cantata Interview
We explore our impact on the strategy game world as Jon sits down with creative director Kyle Kukshtel to talk about Cantata, an indie space tactics game directly inspired by a conversation we had on this very show almost a decade ago. So how exactly did our kvetching inspire the design of this project? How do you make a tactics game that isn't secretly just a puzzle game? And what was the thinking behind the very off-the-wall art style that got Cantata turned down by at least one publisher?

Cantata

Hey everyone!

Kyle from the podcast here. I'll be lurking this thread in case anyone has questions about Cantata or anything brought up during the show! 

Here's a link to our Steam page.

Also just for good measure here's some trailers of the game to give you a sense of the art/style/gameplay/etc.

And to Jon and everyone else on 3MA, thanks so much for having me on! And funny that the other top post in the forums right now is the pod that inspired Cantata.

I played the 1st demo you put out and I really liked it, and was particularly struck by the aestethic you have. It was weirdly familiar to me, and suggested inspiration by scifi covers and 70s/80s comics like Loane Sloane series by Phillipe Druillet, but hearing you mention Kill Six Billion Demons I can see some of that in here too. I am excited to see how the game turns out!

Hey all! Just a note here that Cantata is released on Steam! Lots of people found the game through the podcast, so really appreciate getting to sit down with Jon and talk about the game!

Sitting at an overall Positive review score as well! We've also got a launch discount of 20% till tomorrow, so it's not the worst time to pick it up if you're interested!

steamrel2.PNG.e2e8043b60e9f5ad04f5019561e910b8.PNG