General Fuzzy McBitty

Maniac Mansion

Not that I know of, no. But I discovered their webshop yesterday and you can actually order an Amiga 1200 online and have it shipped to your door for about 1500,- NOK, if you live inside Norway of course. As soon as I get the money I'm gonna order one.

URL: http://www.amigashop.com/ Site in Norwegian

Not that I know of, no. But I discovered their webshop yesterday and you can actually order an Amiga 1200 online and have it shipped to your door for about 1500,- NOK, if you live inside Norway of course. As soon as I get the money I'm gonna order one.

URL: http://www.amigashop.com/ Site in Norwegian

We have an Amiga shop in Spain, I wonder if I shoul buy a new one or just spare parts? I know the monitor is dead, and that either the power supply or the Amiga itself is dead... :mock:

http://www.amigasuperbit.com/main.htm

I might just buy the Amiga without a monitor, but when you plug it into a TV you see it in B&W, at least that's what happened to my Amiga when it worked for the last time...

In I come...

No new "classic" Amigas (like the A1200 or A4000) have actually been produced since 1996. The last was the Amiga Technolgies (when they were owned by Escom) A4000T.

So these "new" machines are, in fact, ex-stock. Still good though. A1200's tend to last for years anyway, thanks to no battery on the motherboard (no risk of leakage).

There are new Amigas being built called AmigaOne's, but nothing like the old machines. They are based around the PowerPC processor (G3 and G4 models), contain no custom chips, and are generally very expensive compared to the PC industry and even the Mac market. However, due to the lightweight requirements of AmigaOS, the new AmigaOS 4.0 (still beta atm) absolutely FLIES on the new hardware. I have an AmigaOne, and it's a lovely bit of kit. :D Nothing special compared to a top-of-the-line PC mobo though.

:edit

In fact, the link above actually have AmigaOne's for sale!

http://www.amigashop.com/shop.php?k=7967b9b6b09fbbffe0dce8f3444eb414&s_3=&grp=3

;)

What I want to know is, what do I need to replay my old Amiga games?

Buying an Amiga One seems a bit extreme just to play old games...

You'll need WinUAE (amiga-emulator) and some game-roms of course... just use google - should be simple enough (i.e.: +rom +amiga +emulation)...

http://www.winuae.net/

I meant which Amiga components I would need, I wasn't talking about emulation... :shifty:

I meant which Amiga components I would need, I wasn't talking about emulation... :shifty:

Well, if you just want to play the games - i find that emulation is fine... if you want the whole nostalgia stuff with the old hardware - well that's another thing.... :shifty:

You'll want an A1200 with a harddrive. That way you can use the many HD installers to play old A500 games (some of which aren't compatible on their own) on your A1200, with faster loading etc etc.

You'd probably want an '030 upgrade for good measure, but it's not essential... unlike a 4MB FastRAM upgrade, which is :)

You'll want an A1200 with a harddrive. That way you can use the many HD installers to play old A500 games (some of which aren't compatible on their own) on your A1200, with faster loading etc etc.

You'd probably want an '030 upgrade for good measure, but it's not essential... unlike a 4MB FastRAM upgrade, which is :)

Some A500 games aren't compatibles with the A1200?

My biggest worry is the monitor, mine is broken, and when I tried it with my TV was in B&W...

Can I plug the A1200 to a normal TV? :erm:

Some A500 games aren't compatibles with the A1200?

You can get "degraders" which fool the games into thinking they're running on an A500. Personally, there aren't THAT many A500 games which would warrant getting the 500 instead of the 1200...

My biggest worry is the monitor, mine is broken, and when I tried it with my TV was in B&W...

Can I plug the A1200 to a normal TV? :erm:

The A1200 will go straight into your TV, either via composite, SCART (with an adaptor cable) or even RF.

You can get "degraders" which fool the games into thinking they're running on an A500. Personally, there aren't THAT many A500 games which would warrant getting the 500 instead of the 1200...

The A1200 will go straight into your TV, either via composite, SCART (with an adaptor cable) or even RF.

So it's a better idea to get a A1200?

What are these "degraders"? Do I need only one?

I knew A1200 games don't work on an A500, but this is the first time I've heard that A500 games don't work on A1200s...

So it's a better idea to get a A1200?

What are these "degraders"? Do I need only one?

I knew A1200 games don't work on an A500, but this is the first time I've heard that A500 games don't work on A1200s...

The AGA chipset of the A1200 and A4000 does a very good job at emulating the OCS chipset calls which A500 games make - in fact, 99% of all Amiga games will work on the 1200. The reason why it can't do it 100% is because Commodore (in their infinite wisdom) lost the schematics to the original chipset.

I use a program called Relokick. Essentially, it fools the OS into thinking its kickstart 1.3 (the white "insert disc" screen instead of the purple one) and patches a few registers in the AGA chips.

Get yourself an A1200, with a Blizzard 1230 accelerator card, a harddrive (somewhere around 3-4 gig), and 16mb fast.

Then get yourself WHDload, and register it. It's very cheap, and probably THE best utility on the amiga right now. With WHDload you can install just about every amiga game there is onto your harddrive and run it from there, and you'll never ever have to think about disks again. The only problem being you have to have the original games to install with WHDload, but it's no hassle getting hold of pre-installed WHDload games, if your counscious allows that.

I recommend that you get yourself a CD-ROM or a PCMCIA network adapter to easily transfer files and games to your amiga.

If you get all this, you'll have the ultimate amiga gaming setup, with games like Lotus 2, Monkey Island 1 and 2, Moonstone, Super Cars, Stunt Car Racer, Sensible World of Soccer, Kick Off 2, Giana Sisters, Civilization, Dynablaster, Project X, Alien Breed, Worms, etc etc. Everything just a few clicks away when you want to play them. It's also much more user friendly than WinUAE.