ke51n

[Released] In the Shade of the Puffin

Now playing: https://ke51n.itch.io/in-the-shade-of-the-puffin

So the game is an isometric action game like hyper light drifter but with a focus on beating up and then capturing various fish. I'm just working on the interior of the submarine home base area right now. I want it to sort of feel like you are controlling a camera and can zoom into key points to interact with objects such as your guy. (inspired by death stranding home base) It still needs a bit of tuning, but I need to draw out the rest of the environment first to see how it works.

cameratest2small.gif.16ffa3802f8e08a426da096f8c21e9f1.gif

Cool! Almost sounds like you could make the submarine a complete game in itself. I enjoy games that let you "play house" like feeding the fish, watering plants, and just finding out what is interactable. Good luck!

Looks really cool and I love your ambition. Right now it looks like 3 different games:

-Isometric Hyperlight-alike

-First person Adv Game-looking home base

-Puffins...?

Looking forward to seeing it all come together!

i want to put some ads on this shower, so if you have a screenshot or cover image or something from your wiz jam game that you would be willing to let me make into an ad, I can make a few different ones that will appear.

The sub interior is finally more or less done. Needs some polish and a few extra details, but I'm gonna move on to the combat and actual game environment part this week.

The reason for the title "In the Shade of the Puffin" is originally I was gonna have you play as a puffin fighting and capturing fish underwater with a fishing pole weapon. I don't really remember why I switched to a person in a submarine.

My plan is to construct the exterior underwater section to be large raised underwater plateaus formed around a giant puffin skull looming over everything for lore reasons that nobody cares about. It'll be super evocative. 

The plan for the combat is isometric slashing with the ability to use the fishing pole as a grappling hook to zip around. And then you beat various mutated fish into submission and can capture them with a fishing pole "capture move" to fill out your "Fish-e-dex." 

Hopefully I can get some art done soon and basic mechanics implemented to show everything better. This game is definitely more ambitious, and even after cutting a lot of ideas, I probably won't even have what I mentioned above done, but that's OK.