Sign in to follow this  
cakedotavi

RTX 2000 series GPUs

Has anyone been paying attention to the hubbub surrounding the RTX 2080 and 2080 ti? This ars technica review does a good job summarizing things without too much jargon, and this comment seems to boil it down to a single (if over-simplified) sentence. 

I am shocked by the price tag ($1,200 USD for the ti - a consumer-grade card), and I find myself wondering if there will be some consumer backlash that leads to a price-drop. However, nvidia has never been flexible on price-points in the past and it does seem like there is a fair amount of actual new hardware on the boards... so I am not holding out hope for that, personally. It seems like if you want to game at 4k/60 or 1440p/144 nvidia is the only game in town, and they know it. 

I will probably get one, and then feel like a bit of an idiot for doing so :P

As an aside, I know this is not directly video gaming related, but I don't see a better board so here we are.

The lack of games that support ray tracing right now is sort of hilarious to me, not sure why NVIDIA didn't wait since they are already so far ahead of the competition. I am interested what the frame rate and resolution numbers are going to be with ray tracing on. I get the feeling that they will be pretty low by today's high end graphics standards, but maybe NVIDIA will surprise me. I got a 1080 a few months ago so I'm not really looking to upgrade anyway, if ray tracing gets widespread adoption and seems worth it perhaps I will get the next generation of cards the 2010s or 3000s depending on how the new naming convention goes.

Yeah the lack of supported games day 1 is a real shame. I saw one reviewer put it along the lines of "it's like if a car company had reviewers test a new race car, but the track wasn't ready so everyone was stuck doing laps around the parking lot."

I think it really doesn't make sense for most people to upgrade right now, given the very costly increase in performance compared to the Pascal lineup ($/FPS gain is very high going from 1xxx to 2xxx compared to almost any earlier generation). However, if you simply want to hit 1440/144 or 4k/60 it seems like you really don't have much of an option... you just have to pay a (pretty ridiculous and frankly unfair) premium to do so. 

Unfortunately for my wallet, I think I am in the latter camp as I have both a 1440/144 and 4k/60 display that my current 970 weeps trying to power. 

10 hours ago, cakedotavi said:

Yeah the lack of supported games day 1 is a real shame. I saw one reviewer put it along the lines of "it's like if a car company had reviewers test a new race car, but the track wasn't ready so everyone was stuck doing laps around the parking lot."

I think it really doesn't make sense for most people to upgrade right now, given the very costly increase in performance compared to the Pascal lineup ($/FPS gain is very high going from 1xxx to 2xxx compared to almost any earlier generation). However, if you simply want to hit 1440/144 or 4k/60 it seems like you really don't have much of an option... you just have to pay a (pretty ridiculous and frankly unfair) premium to do so. 

Unfortunately for my wallet, I think I am in the latter camp as I have both a 1440/144 and 4k/60 display that my current 970 weeps trying to power. 

My 1080 does 1440/144 perfectly fine i think 1080Tis can do 4k at 60

From what I've been reading (example) the 1080 ti will keep you north of 4k/60 only in very well optimized games currently, like id tech titles (e.g. Wolfenstein 2). If you look at more difficult titles like AC Unity, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, etc it is often in the 40-50 range (or lower).

So yes, some 4k gaming at 60fps is certainly possible on the 1080 ti, but as far as I can tell it is far from consistent. I am willing to throw value out the window and pay a premium to get a more consistent 4k/60 experience. A bit of (limited) fiscal irresponsibility might be fun :P

I am open to having my mind changed if you know something I don't about the 1080 ti performance however - I've not bought the 2080 ti yet. 

Maybe Nvidia were so quick to release this, without much game support, because of the professional 3d market potential. A lot of studios use GPU render engines for their 3d work (we do almost all our 3d in Octane Render) and the performance boost from just the most basic implementation of the new RTX cards is quite big when it comes to GPU rendering.  So they can sell to the more serious professional studios who can afford the stupid high price tag and then when more games are compatible with RTX, the price will have dropped to something slightly more suitable to the consumer market?  I don't know, pure speculation, but I think studio GPU rendering has become big enough of a market for Nvidia at this point.

15 hours ago, BigJKO said:

Maybe Nvidia were so quick to release this, without much game support, because of the professional 3d market potential. A lot of studios use GPU render engines for their 3d work (we do almost all our 3d in Octane Render) and the performance boost from just the most basic implementation of the new RTX cards is quite big when it comes to GPU rendering.  So they can sell to the more serious professional studios who can afford the stupid high price tag and then when more games are compatible with RTX, the price will have dropped to something slightly more suitable to the consumer market?  I don't know, pure speculation, but I think studio GPU rendering has become big enough of a market for Nvidia at this point.

Professional cards like the Quadro have been out for a while and usually far outstrip the gaming models. I think the new SLI tech that the 2080 uses actually came from their pro line

I'm not an expert in this stuff, at all, but we never pick the Quadros at the office because they're way more expensive and don't have a better GPU render benchmark than the same generation's Ti cards. The new Quadro GP100 seems like a very powerful card, and it beats a single 1080 Ti on benchmarks, but for the price of one Quadro GP100 you could buy nine 1080Ti cards getting about 7x the speed of that single Quadro.. :/

Also far from an expert, but I think those pro cards are implemented differently, and prioritize accuracy over speed. For gaming you can safely cut corners on certain calculations, but if you're doing more serious computing or rendering you need it to go all the way. I obviously don't actually know in detail what those are and could be totally wrong, but this is the impression I've gotten from hearing about extremely expensive "pro" video cards over the years.

19 hours ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

Sure but that makes the gaming cards ideal for rendering things without corners, like spheres.

:tup::tup::tup: 

On 9/29/2018 at 8:18 AM, TychoCelchuuu said:

Sure but that makes the gaming cards ideal for rendering things without corners, like spheres.

i love this stupid joke