Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 437: Slay the Spire

Three Moves Ahead 437:

Three Moves Ahead 437

Slay the Spire
Slay the Spire, a deckbuilding game that won't require you to take out a second mortgage on your house, has captivated the members of our panel. Its crisp gameplay and tight design has the internet abuzz, and it's quickly becoming the darling of the deckbuilding scene. It's so good it even got Julian back on the show! Listen in as Julian, Sean Sands, Austin Walker, and Troy "The rarest card in my booster was a swamp mana" Goodfellow as they talk about what keeps them coming back to Slay the Spire.

Slay the Spire, Magic: The Gathering

It funny that people keep praising the game (though its always best to take internet fads with a large pinch of salt!) but I just can't get over how terrible the graphics look.

If you told me this was a flash game from the 90's I would totally believe you! They're just so damn ugly.

I appreciate that it shouldn't stop me trying it, but it doesn't half but a barrier in the way!

The art is definitely unpolished, but I also do often find myself charmed by its weirdness, and the roughness might be part of that.