ysbreker

are you just happy to see me or is that a Mr. T in your pocket?

Ha ha! :grin:

They have pretty crazy stuff, I remember seeing that they had acres of the Moon and Venus for sale! :eek:

If that is what I think it is, it's actually legitimate land ownership.

If that is what I think it is, it's actually legitimate land ownership.
*With regard to extraterrestrial property sales, two treaties exist today.

These treaties do not refer to "ownership" as such, they more commonly refer to the "exploitation of the Moon and other celestial bodies for profit purposes", and extraterrestrial property sales distinctly fall under that section. The treaties are, The Outer Space Treaty of 1967 and the Moon Treaty of 1984.

The Outer Space Treaty of 1967 explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet.

What is the Moon Treaty and why is it not law?

The Moon Treaty, had it been ratified, would have forbidden the exploitation of Space, the Moon and other celestial bodies for profit motives. According to the Moon treaty, individuals may not claim the Moon and other celestial bodies.

But, of all the 185 or so member states of the UN only six states supported it. All others, including all space faring nations (USA, UK, Russia, China etc) refused to sign it. This is something that does not seem to be well known. The USA explicitly refused to sign it as it would inhibit the exploitation of Lunar and other celestial resources for profit by corporations and individuals.

We feel that the non ratification of the Moon Treaty is a good thing. If it had been ratified and oil was found on the Moon; any company would by law be prohibited from mining it. Surely, that is not in the public's interest. (and if you find it on your property... well congratulations...you could be very rich!)

And the most important point?

In all of that, let's not miss the most important point of all....and it specifically applies to the Moon: What is the Moon to us?

The Moon is a symbol of hope, romance, achievement and change, all rolled into one. There is nothing more symbolic and romantic on Earth one can give to a loved one. It is not a fad we can toy with, it is not something that will ever lose its appeal. When you buy your property on the Moon or any other planet, please enjoy it, because that is what this really is all about. You can look into the night sky and say 'I own a piece of that!'

I don't know... Does this sound legit?

Err, I dunno? What do you mean?

All I'm saying is that there's a real company selling moonland. They got a lot of press with it for a while (CNN, National Geographic, etc.)

I wouldn't really count on it. If you were, hypothetically, to freeze yourself in carbonite to be resurrected when the moon was fully colonised and such, I don't think you can bring forth your piece of paper and say: that bit belongs to me! Get your colonist asses off my property!

That said, I WANT a Mr. T in my pocket!! :mrt:

Surely you can't sell something that doesn't already belong to you, and somehow I don't think that whoever prints the deeds is the actual owner of the moon. If I'm wrong about either of these things, I'll be damn surprised to put it mildly! :eek:

On the other hand, if people are allowed to sell things that don't belong to them, I'm putting the other planets in the solar system on eBay next week. Screw this acre by acre bollocks, I'll just be selling entire planets for £1,000,000 each. Moons from £100,000 upwards. Buy 3, save 20% :woohoo:

Can I buy the Earth?

Errr, heh, I may get in trouble for trying to sell that one. How about I just sell you 'some earth' instead? I'll do you a good deal ;)

Errr, heh, I may get in trouble for trying to sell that one. How about I just sell you 'some earth' instead? I'll do you a good deal ;)

I'll buy Somearth only if it has life and three suns (and at least 4 moons).