Jake

Important If True 22: Air Bud and the Average Man

26 posts in this topic

On 7/18/2017 at 3:39 PM, Jake said:

Pretty sure that got dropped in America because of some French influence. Americans pronounce "pasta" in a more Italian way and get mocked by Brits for it despite them saying it incorrectly. We're not trying to be snooty in weird isolated ways, we just had a different mix of immigrants than you in our formative years. 

Oh, I know - it's purely an irrational annoyance! Though it is odd how it's ONLY herbs, but not herbivore, herbaceous, Herby, etc.

Language is weird, and I realise this more and more every day as my daughter is starting to learn to read - the English language really is such a mish-mash of different linguistic heritages. It reminds me of this passage (misappropriated to Mark Twain):

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter c would be dropped to be replased either by k or s, and likewise x would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which c would be retained would be the ch formation, which will be dealt with later.

Year 2 might reform w spelling, so that which and one would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish y replasing it with i and Iear 4 might fiks the g/j anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.

Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez c, y and x — bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez — tu riplais ch, sh, and th rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.