JTerry

[Dev Log] I'll Kill The Last Alien

For our WJ game, we decided to pick a game that we could finish with our very limited game dev chops.  In Kill the Last Alien, four players find themselves at a dinner table towards the end of a delicious cooked alien mochi meal.  With three aliens left on the plate, the four players compete to fill their stomachs.  The game takes place over a series of rounds, with points being awarded to those quick enough to get the mochi. For now, here's a picture of the mochi! 

18835481_10155405629032094_1431979005_n.png

Not a whole lot of game play to show off yet, most of the day was spent getting the Input/Event systems functioning well. However the main screen of the game is laid out and the player arms are on their first pass!

screengrab.png

PlayerArm_Astro_P1_v1.png

3 hours ago, One8Two8 said:

The art looks great so far. Are you planning for it to be networked, local, or vs ai?

Right now it's local for four players across one keyboard, or 4 gamepads, or a hybrid. Eventually I'd like to make it # of players independent and adjust the number of mochis based on n players - 1.  Game changes a bit when the player numbers go up or down though so that's a design choice I'd like to shelf for a while :)

Spent an EMBARASSINGLY long time getting this to work semi-properly tonight. Feels good to have the hands doing something though, next is having them return with the mochi they picked... but only if they chose it first!

diff.gif

same.gif

Would also like to adjust the sprite layers to make sense

Wasn't able to write any more logic for the game today but James cranked out some Menu screens!  Splash screen for the initial load and a quick guide on how to select mochis in game: 

Controls.png

Start Screen 1.png

Sat down to work on this tonight around 11:30 and found out my progress from Monday was lost! So, I spent my dev time tonight getting back to where I was at.  Luckily, I managed to speed through the repeat work and got the arms bouncing backwards tonight as a little bonus.  

In addition to the tweaks I wanted to make earlier in the week, I'd like to adjust the arm speeds to all reach their mochi at the same time since the game isn't accounting for which arm makes it there first on screen and only relies on how fast the player can lock in their decision at the beginning of the round.

Hopefully tomorrow yields more progress! For now, it's time to push to Git instead of relying on my local computer to maintain my codebase ;)

bounceback.gif

Another busy night for us! No code changes but James got our mochis looking spritely as ever!

tmp_16066-GM_Idle1521539917.gif

tmp_16066-OM_Idle_011798159487.gif

tmp_16066-PinkIdle684910409.gif

At the expense of updating this post, I managed to make slow but steady progress over a very busy weekend.  Sans gif, I did add the mochi-grabbing goodness during the rounds and a constant time to mochi (or CTTM) when the round starts regardless of the hands being used.  I'm hoping to make more headway tomorrow night after work, and I will post nice gifs then too. Happy final week! :) 

Yay! Finally had time to sit down and iron out some major chunks tonight.  The mochi are dancing, players can grab them, and the "round" logic is in place. Next on the list is much-needed UI to keep track of score and display user's successes/failures when reaching for the mochi.

FirstRound.gif

Menu screen! Spent some time making it a little more flavorful today. Need to hook up the instructions screen then finally start on better in-game UI and scoring! So close to finishing, it looks like we're just going to make it to submission :) 

BetterMenuintoGame.gif

Getting close to the finished product, Score UI is in now, just need a winner screen at the end of a game with the option to replay. 

ScoreUI.gif