Kolzig

Trouble in the PSP camp?

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4950

This is the first time that anyone within Sony has voiced any doubt over the launch schedule for the unit, although several analysts and media commentators have expressed concern over the launch timetable, especially in light of the system's public debut at the Tokyo Game Show last month.

Much of the software shown there appeared to be very incomplete, with some analysts pegging most the titles on display at around 60 to 75 per cent completion - suggesting that they may not be ready until next year, thus missing the planned Q4 2004 launch of the device.

They'll rush 3-4 titles, and lose all the refinement you get when you spend 90% of time on the last 10% as is typical.

Likely PS2 ports (gran turismo etc) where most of the work is already done.

Figure other games would be due 4/5 months after launch, with the usual licensed chaff thrown in there to make up the difference.

I can imagine they'll put more PR into the UMD movie/music playing as this is pretty much finished, and might obscure a poor launch games lineup.

I'd expect something like 8 movies there, typical blockbuster rubbish and maybe one or two sony-owned anime collections (Metropolis? Cowboy Bebop?)

Oh, dear this does not bode well, most of the games are PSOne ports AFAIK...

Since they've kicked Nintendo and Microsft's butt in the normal consoles area, they want to kick Nintendo's butt in the handheld console area....

Nov is insanity... I wonder if this will Sony's first BIG mistake?

(BTW, the link goes to a Nintendo DS Kenty)

I certainly think the Nintendo DS and the PSP will make things more interesting...

Think about it, the handheld area is what is keeping Nintendo alive, and they won't give up the handheld supremacy so easily, who knows what will happen!

Does anybody know how much this behemoth will cost?

If it sells for less than £300 in the UK I'll be astonished, and hence I'll be astonished if anyone actually buys the thing.

Big colour screen, massively expensive, concerns over battery life..

Game Gear v2 anyone? :yep:

Game Gear v2 anyone? :yep:

Exactly my thoughts about it.

If I can keep working as a postman for a few months, I'll have spare money to buy Nintendo DS.

I'll never buy a PSP.

PSP just sounds like a complete failure.

Well, at least Sony has the "Cool" factor on its side. And that has beaten Nintedno before.

Yeah, yeah, I know, "Cool" may not result in better games, but thats sadly not what counts in the industry today.

Well, at least Sony has the "Cool" factor on its side. And that has beaten Nintedno before.

Yeah, yeah, I know, "Cool" may not result in better games, but thats sadly not what counts in the industry today.

"Cool" just won't cut it, when the thing will cost 400-500€...

The Nintendo DS probably won't cost more than 200€...

You know, I think that for the first time Sony will fail at something! :naughty:

We all need to eat humble pie once in a while....

I hate the fact that this machines always cost more in Europe for some odd reason.

For example Nintendo DS is $149.99 (120 euros) in USA and about 15,500 yen (115 euros) in Japan.

And I bet it'll cost at least 150 euros in Europe when it's launched.

The same goes with the games: $29,99 in USA, propably in Europe the games will cost about 40 euros.

Nintendo DS is region free, I've heard that Sony is putting a region lock in PSP?