Badfinger

SID MEIER'S AMERICAN MCGEE'S PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

I just built a computer, because I was tired of listening to friends, and podcasts, and hearing about PC GAMING, so I went made a computer. And I played my first four matches of battlegrounds, and it's real fun, even if it's pretty wonky. I think that this game has a lot of those moments where you just straight-up die out of nowhere, which is lame, but, it's exciting enough leading up to that moment that it balances out pretty well. I should go and see if there's some sort of Thumbs steam group for playing with other people. 

I don't think the Thumbs community has a group for PUBG beyond these forums, but Waypoint (Vice's gaming site) does. Badfinger and I have grouped up via their Discord a few times. You can find an invite link here - if it's expired just post asking for a new one (I had to do this and a mod refreshed it pretty quick for me). That, or just add me on Steam and I'd be happy to show you the ropes! Name is the same as here. 

Regarding the die-out-of-nowhere thing, that happens less and less as you get more familiar with the game. It's pretty rare that I die and go "I have no idea what just happened" now that I have a decent number of hours logged. Most of the time when I die I either just straight up get out-shot and lose a gunfight, or I'm forced into what I know is a terrible move because of circle position. 

Aside from a bit of jank and the circle sometimes really fucking you, I don't have many complaints with this game. A few bug fixes, small map tweaks, and a refinement on the circle mechanic would turn this into a really ideal game for me. 

5 hours ago, cakedotavi said:

I don't think the Thumbs community has a group for PUBG beyond these forums, but Waypoint (Vice's gaming site) does. Badfinger and I have grouped up via their Discord a few times. You can find an invite link here - if it's expired just post asking for a new one (I had to do this and a mod refreshed it pretty quick for me). That, or just add me on Steam and I'd be happy to show you the ropes! Name is the same as here. 

Regarding the die-out-of-nowhere thing, that happens less and less as you get more familiar with the game. It's pretty rare that I die and go "I have no idea what just happened" now that I have a decent number of hours logged. Most of the time when I die I either just straight up get out-shot and lose a gunfight, or I'm forced into what I know is a terrible move because of circle position. 

Aside from a bit of jank and the circle sometimes really fucking you, I don't have many complaints with this game. A few bug fixes, small map tweaks, and a refinement on the circle mechanic would turn this into a really ideal game for me. 

The Idle Thumbs community for PUBG (and basically every other game) exists mostly in the Slack. There's an Idle Thumbs discord too that is used solely for voice-chat. It's a bit difficult having things spread out between two platforms (three including this forum) but that's just the way it is.

Man I am Not Great at this game, but I suppose that'll change as I play more. I would be interested, this week, in playing with some of the Thumbs, I suppose I'll head to the slack to find some people who want to fumble around with a complete idiot (myself). 

12 hours ago, eRonin said:

The Idle Thumbs community for PUBG (and basically every other game) exists mostly in the Slack. There's an Idle Thumbs discord too that is used solely for voice-chat. It's a bit difficult having things spread out between two platforms (three including this forum) but that's just the way it is.

Cool! I did not know this existed - thanks :)

12 hours ago, RubixsQube said:

Man I am Not Great at this game, but I suppose that'll change as I play more. I would be interested, this week, in playing with some of the Thumbs, I suppose I'll head to the slack to find some people who want to fumble around with a complete idiot (myself). 

Haha, don't worry about it too much. The game does include skill-based matchmaking, so you should end up (largely) paired against people of approximately your own skill level for the most part. 

I *think* I heard something about FPP not including skill-based matchmaking for now though. I could be wrong, but something to bear in mind if you play that mode. 

Yeah FPP doesn't record any stats at all at the moment, so there's no matchmaking involved. You end up playing against both the best players who have thousands of hours of experience against people trying out the mode (or heck the game) for the first time and not knowing how to use sound information.

I played a bit more last night, and I have yet to actually fire on someone. I am not saying I have not gotten a kill, I am saying I have not actually seen someone for long enough to shoot at them. It's fun to play with my friends, but man, the end game is just profoundly unsatisfying when you find yourself just surprised and murdered. 

Ok, I just managed to get #5 solo, with a pair of kills. The first was right near the beginning, when some fool tried to run me over with a buggy, crashed it instead into a wall, and then got a shotgun to the face. The last was one of the final few, who was trying to be sneaky and ended up getting a 4x scope sassy carl to the noggin. I died racing into the tiny shrinking play area, like a dope. Jeez, this game amps up the adrenaline, oof.

2 hours ago, cakedotavi said:

Annnd I have a new name for the K98!

Oh, "sassy carl" is what steve gaynor and his pubg buddies call the SCAR-L. 

3 hours ago, RubixsQube said:

Oh, "sassy carl" is what steve gaynor and his pubg buddies call the SCAR-L. 

OK, I see the connection but come on - the K98 is the sassiest of PUBG guns :P

I'm the boring kind of person who just calls everything by what they are known as in-game as to reduce confusion. I do play with a lot of different groups so that is a big part of it.

Wow, the skill-based matchmaking they added to FPP in the recent patch has made my life way, way harder. Everyone I play against is a crazy good shot now - it's really tough!

I went from making top 10 ~30% of the time when try-harding in solo to being happy if I make it out my drop location that often. Quite an ego adjustment! :P

Congrats!

This continues to be my groups go-to game, I do kind of feel our momentum slipping which is a little sad as I've definitely enjoyed having a reason to hang out in a discord and drink a few beers with friends who have moved away. 

I love the fog map! it really nerfs snipers and promotes hunting people in medium to close range situations. I am still waiting for a fog Chicken dinner.  

While Divinity II is taking up some of my gaming time, this is still my go-to for when I want something competitive.

Had a win today where I finally (after over 200 hours) got to have a decent amount of time with an AWM, aside from the shooting range. Ended up winning with 7 kills, 3 of which were with the AWM. That thing is fun :)

I accidentally played on the Asian server for once due to that bug that keeps defaulting everyone to the Asian server. Because I hadn't touched the server, my rating was low and so it seems I was matched with other low-rating players; players who didn't notice I was firing my gun (it's very loud!) when they were very close to me, players who don't register footsteps as I descend a flight of stairs to get line of sight on them, players who missed me 5 times from close range only for me to kill them near-instantly as I turn, and players who hit the dirt in the open field as soon as they are hit, making them an easier target. I ended up with my record kills (13), though I didn't win because I ultimately was shot at mere moments after getting my 13th kill. It highlights rather well what new players should or shouldn't do as I recklessly (I meant for it to end quickly because I picked the wrong server and I wanted to group up with some folks) ran around picking people off who lacked awareness and other skills. 

Yeah, the per-queue skill ratings make for some pretty weird rounds if you've got some hours under your belt and end up playing on anything other than your "main" playlist. When they finally added skill-based matchmaking to FPP a few patches ago I *really* noticed the difference.

I hope to see a ranked vs unranked queue instead. I'd rather have a single skill rating across all queues (or at least all servers), and have an "unranked" mode where it doesn't impact my skill rating for when I'm not looking to be competitive. It can still take your current skill rating into account so you don't end up punching new players to death (as it is when you switch servers now), but you don't have to worry about screwing up your ranking when you're just looking to have some silly fun.

If anyone still has any Gamescom crates, they're now going for over $5 CAD on the marketplace (and climbing fast). 

Supply has finally started to run down, so prices are going nuts. I expect they'll tank when the next batch of crates are announced, so don't wait too long before selling if you have some :)

Good god the AWM is fun - I think 5 of these were AWM kills in the last few minutes (got the AWM with ~15 people left). Only the 2nd time I've ever gotten to really use it in a match. 

Had a very cooperative set of end circles in the open, so got to do some work with the SR. I still had to run pretty far to the last few circles, but it was nice to have a big open space to use that gun in. 

6cKwybR.jpg

Just purchased this game! General tips would be appreciated or just tell me to read the thread. 

Would also love to play with some thumbs sometime

14 hours ago, graddy said:

Just purchased this game! General tips would be appreciated or just tell me to read the thread. 

Would also love to play with some thumbs sometime

People organize games in the #PUBG slack channel