Chris

Idle Thumbs 301: Dead Ringer Dr. Mario

For me, the CYOA discussion brought to mind House of Leaves. Without getting too far into it, it's a weird story within a story (within another story?). After a while, the layout of the text itself starts to reflect some of the events it portrays. During one part, characters are lost within a mysterious labyrinth, and the pages themselves become labyrinthine. The main thread isn't that hard to follow, but the entire section is a mess of footnotes, some of which have their own footnotes. Some of those lead you to loops of earlier notes, some don't actually have associated notes, and there's at least one note in the jumble that doesn't have a referent in the text. To connect it with the Dark Souls lore discussion, it actually is a book that you could read in different ways. There's all sorts of extraneous information, explicit and implicit, that's not necessary to understand the basic story, but adds flavor to what you're reading if you go the trouble of understanding it.

I haven't finished listening yet, but had to drop in with a couple of film corrections:

Paul W.S. ("What Script?") Anderson didn't direct the Streetfighter movie, he did the Mortal Kombat one.

Tutti Frutti ("wam bam a bloo blops") does not play in the helicopter in Predator. A different Little Richard song, Long Tall Sally, is played. Bill Duke's character starts chanting it to himself later on when he goes crazy: "Gonna have me some fun tonight, gonna have me some fun tonight..."

Ohmygod.  The Schwarzenegger BLOPS segment just about killed me.  I am panting from laughing so hard.

Mario is Vader?

I was recently flicking through a kids 'zine and came across this interesting Mario trivia page/PEZ advertisement.

The most interesting point I found was down at the lower right corner regarding Wario. 

Has the answer been in front of us the whole time but it's only Japanese speakers that knew the truth..? Somewhat akin to the German/Dutch speakers who knew Vaders secret before the rest of us..

PicsArt_03-16-03.52.41.jpg

I think that people pointed out that was the origin of Wario's name before -- though mostly I think as a reason why Waluigi's name isn't quite as stupid as it sounds to Americans. In light of recent revelations on Idle Thumbs, though, it does take on some new and sinister implications

The discussion about Choose Your Own Adventure books immediately reminded me of "The Third Planet from Altair", which had the "good ending" page as a page you were never instructed to go to. My  ten year old brain exploded when I realized there was no "legitimate" way to get to the page where you finally get to the third planet.

EDIT: I was wrong, Urthman in the Idle Thumbs 302 posted the correct info, it was Inside UFO 54-40. Link below. Thanks Urthman!