Sign in to follow this  
melmer

SPECTRE (new James Bond movie)

Well, Craig said he wouldn't do it, but when you slap enough money on the table, that makes heads turn.

So there's at least one more Craig Bond coming? I'm fine with that. My bet is that they do a completely new plot, separate from anything vaguely smelling of Spectre continuity. At least, that's what I hope. Just a solid spy thriller please.

5 hours ago, Kolzig said:

Well, Craig said he wouldn't do it, but when you slap enough money on the table, that makes heads turn.

I believe his exact words in Time Out were "I'd rather break this glass and slash my wrists" than make another Bond movie, and that he didn't "give a fuck" who replaced him. He's since said that he may have been "overtired" during that interview, haha.

2 hours ago, Roderick said:

So there's at least one more Craig Bond coming? I'm fine with that. My bet is that they do a completely new plot, separate from anything vaguely smelling of Spectre continuity. At least, that's what I hope. Just a solid spy thriller please.

Yeah, it's confirmed: one last Craig Bond, from the scriptwriting team that brought us The World Is Not Enough. Blergh.

It says in the article the writers were responsible for all Bond movies since The World Is Not Enough. So, hit and miss, but I'd say more hit than miss.

1 hour ago, Roderick said:

It says in the article the writers were responsible for all Bond movies since The World Is Not Enough. So, hit and miss, but I'd say more hit than miss.

Haha, that's my bad! Still, that means they're responsible for Die Another Day, which is by far the worst Bond movie ever made.

54 minutes ago, Gormongous said:

Haha, that's my bad! Still, that means they're responsible for Die Another Day, which is by far the worst Bond movie ever made.

Wrong! DAD is actually very entertaining. It has some great action and is silly enough to recall the Moore heyday.

16 minutes ago, Ben X said:

Wrong! DAD is actually very entertaining. It has some great action and is silly enough to recall the Moore heyday.

Believe me, I was in a room with six other people who'd watched every other Bond movie over the course of a month, three months ago and it was resoundingly the least favorite of everyone there, beating out perennially hated installments like License to Kill and Octopussy.

Die Another Day is a grueling two and a quarter hours long, most of the action is an endless succession of chases and escapes that make it feel like Bond just gets caught so that he has an excuse to drive a car around an exploding ice palace, it's got the gross dynamic of a Korean guy getting surgery to look white, the villain's plan is another hyper-destructive satellite,  Brosnan is visibly bored the entire time and never makes a connection with Halle Berry or anything else... The only part that anyone enjoyed was the fencing scene near the beginning and even that lasts a full minute longer than it has to because Tamahori's directing is on autopilot. Moore partaking in a skiing or speedboat chase, en route to scenes that aren't more chases and escapes, this is not.

Ha ha, fair enough. Maybe if I re-watched it I'd agree. Did everyone notice how Skyfall ripped it off at the start though, with all the abandoned beardy Bond stuff?

Not trying to be deliberately contrary in this topic, but I too enjoyed Die Another Day more than public opinion would suggest. It's campy, I actually like the weird plot with the North Koreans, the opening is very strong, just about the only thing that just doesn't work is the whole ice palace setting with added lasers on top. But apart from that... good fun. Better than Tomorrow Never Dies, which makes the unforgivable (and unfathomable) mistake of explaining the bad guy's plot in the first ten minutes, draining the whole thing of mystery.

Wait, there is another huge flaw in DAD: Madonna's opening song is one of the worst. Just weird and not good, lyrics-wise and Bond-wise.

I would also be a little sour on Moore's Live and Let Die, with its 20 minute speedboat chase that begins and ends in Bond's capture... but someone recently told me it's a take on blaxploitation and I never viewed it through that lens. So maybe upon rewatching I'll find something more worthwhile to it, I don't know yet.