Jake

Idle Thumbs 293: Warmest Greetings

2 hours ago, Korax said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Part of Marv's initial movement cycle includes stopping at bathrooms every once in a while to plug up the sinks himself.

236870_screenshots_20161214201021_1.jpg

This makes me happy. Thank you.

This is mostly (probably entirely) semantics, but I think 2016 was an amazing year, not just entertainment-wise:

Bernie Sanders had a pretty progressive campaign, DAPL turned out better than expected by most, china announced plans to cut meat consumption significantly, Obama gave that great interview about AI that I really enjoyed reading, and importantly - Trump was not the president of the US. 2017 is probably going to be a hell of a hell, and I hope people who yearn for 2016 to end don't feel like that just because as an election year it required them to be more aware than usual of politics, since that trend will probably continue. Sorry for rambling.

Catacombs of Solaris is neat. First play through, I closed the game after being bored for 5 minutes but then I popped in the thread and read your spoilers and gave it a second try.

I also just played Catacombs of Solaris and enjoyed it. I think. I kept playing and also am not sure why. Then I stopped and for about the next five minutes, I felt pretty... odd. Kind of felt dreamy there for a bit. What a cool thing!

I haven't played Catacombs of Solaris yet, but Chris's description of getting bored the first time resonated with me. I play a lot of smaller hobbyist-made games and often I have to trudge through the first attempt at playing it. Actually, this is true for most games I play regardless of its production. I think that games vary widely in their pacing and demands; the first time I spend time in it is just a way to catalogue the experience so I can go back to it when I'm in the right mind for it later. 

Speaking of Chris, I know he said that premature annual awards annoy him but can we start doing GOTY lists soon so I can have a wishlist ready for the Steam-sale?

Great podcast! I think at some point somebody wondered out loud what a 'Miyamoto version' of Super Hypercube would look like, which reminded me that there already is one - sort of?

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has a series of puzzles where you have to fit a big, blocky, oddly-shaped key into a big, blocky, oddly-shaped lock. In order to do it you have to hold the Wiimote horizontally in front of you and rotate it all the way around in different directions to find the right angle of entry. It's quite similar to Super Hypercube, I think - but for the lock flying at your face, the neon lasers, etc...

It's an interesting comparison which I never seem to hear mentioned, even though I think the original Hypercube used Wii controllers (for head tracking I think?). But then if we get into 'Zelda did it first!!' in game mechanics we would probably be here a while.