Sign in to follow this  
Alexey

Codex of Victory (Steam Early Access)

Hi All,

We have opened a new turn-based strategy game "Codex of Victory" in Steam Early Access and now looking for an active community to shape final months of game development.

We have several features that we want to discuss with players before implementing.

The game is in an active development, currently it has first Act ready (several playable starting missions plus the underground base between missions) and we are looking to release it in November this year, so a lot of work to do and you may be a part of the process.

Sorry for this post on this forum, this game we are making without a publisher and we are not that good in marketing,

in the same time, I think it could be interesting for this community.

All feedback is welcomed and I'm ready to answer your questions if you have them.

Here is the link to the game page on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/464100

post-36029-0-85915800-1471240974_thumb.png

post-36029-0-91646600-1471241011_thumb.png

post-36029-0-29376800-1471241035_thumb.png

Oh my, Warlock was my favorite game a few years ago, and I'm still hoping to find time to play both Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy.

Color me curious.

Oh my, Warlock was my favorite game a few years ago, and I'm still hoping to find time to play both Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy.

Color me curious.

Thank you! I'm happy to hear that!

I'm going to keep posting game news in this tread to keep it up to date.

This looks like it could be really up my alley. Going to keep a close eye on things!

I don't like participating early access at all so I with you best of luck with that :)

This looks like it could be really up my alley. Going to keep a close eye on things!

I don't like participating early access at all so I with you best of luck with that :)

Super! Early Access is completely optional!

So I took the plunge. I played it for a couple of hours, finishing four missions. I like what I see so far.

The game has two parts: strategic and tactical, like X-COM. In the strategic mode, you build an underground base, like you do in X-COM. You can also speed up the time flow until you hit the next event. Sounds familiar by now, right? The difference is that X-COM throws events at you to deal with them immediately, while Codex of Victory gives you some time to prepare. Which is nice as it lets you make a decision in a more planned and strategic manner.

The base building, actually, reminds me Dragon Age: Legends more than X-COM because you can have obstacles underground and will have to take them into account when building the base.

The tactical battles are somewhat similar to Army Attack, which I was told is close to Advanced Wars. It's meatier, though, which I also like.

The core of the battle system is the action points. You spend them to move units, to attack enemies, and to deploy new units on the battlefield. I'd say your troops can be divided into two groups: jeeps and heavier units. The latter take more APs to deploy (you have to spend 1 AP to deploy a jeep, but a tank or an artillery piece needs 4 APs, for example). Occupying neutral bases increases the number of APs you can spend per turn. Occupying enemies' bases also robs the enemy of this crucial resource.

Another vital function of jeeps is shielding your heavier units from enemy attacks. You can only deploy new units near your bases. So it takes some planning to keep a constant stream of jeeps toward the enemy to replace losses and to spearhead your advance.

The difficulty spiked on the third mission, which I had to repeat a couple of times before I realized the importance of jeeps. The fourth, though, was just fine and I enjoyed baiting enemy artillery pieces with my jeeps so I could destroy them in a retaliatory strike.

There are some parts of the game I still don't understand. I got several components to upgrade my units, for example, but I'm not sure whether 2 components will upgrade two units or two unit types. I'm also not clear whether the attachment is permanent or whether I'll be able to re-attach them to newer units. I also just unlocked research lab, which presumably allows to improve units, but I haven't built it yet.

It's not a AAA title, so there are no voiceovers and no cutscenes, but the gameplay seems to be solid, so I'm definitely going to spend more time with the game.

We just pushed a new update to the game, that adds the Army Builder.

Now you can setup your army for 100 poins, upgrade units, give them modules and try to defeat your friend on the battlefield.

d14be492cc314172bf2a3d28146a8e1b.png