Update 3 - 0.14 - I added an "Internalization Meter" to my game as well as putting some more environment scripting events in to help with the level flow.

TitleGif01.gif?resize=315%2C250

It's an Itch.io! https://theschap.itch.io/3-antidotes

I have been a long podcast listener, light reader, and this is my first game jam. I have done a fair amount of prototyping in flash, gamemaker, and just started playing with Unity because I missed 3d but HEY here's my 2D project!

The podcast name randomizer bestowed upon me "The Three Antidotes", which fit well with my desires to create a "metroidvania" type 2D platformer. The basic idea for the game is to defeat 3 bosses, each holding the antidote to a limitation placed upon the player before they encounter the final boss of the game. I'm thinking I might make the final boss encounter available but very difficult without the 3 antidotes, but that may be more than I can achieve.

The main character is a turtle because turtles are quite good at defending themselves, and I gave the turtle a sword so it may defeat it's enemies.

I plan to use the Uniquely Systemic diversifier along with the Crowd-sourced by using some drawings my son did, and having the enemies randomly spawn as one of those sprites.

If I have time, I'd also like to use the Uncle Who Works at Nintendo one as I think it sounds super fun.

I have maybe bit off more than I can chew as I'm going to be gone for a week during the jam, but I can maybe scale things back last second. :)

Here is my level design so far.

KOyBe8A.jpg

And some animations with my turtle.

rNG8XHM.gif

I hope to post one more update before I leave tomorrow evening. Maybe I can get some concepts and such done on the flight.

That turtle's jumping and movement animations are already pretty on point, nice!

So you're planning on randomizing the look of the enemies rather than the typical location/behavior randomization common to platformers?

The basic idea for the game is to defeat 3 bosses, each holding the antidote to a limitation placed upon the player before they encounter the final boss of the game.

This is a really cool interpretation of the metroidvania powering up sequence. Instead of gaining powers, you're regaining powers. I like that it makes the 'instant expert' issue that metroidvanias have ("Oh hey, I found an alien technology rocket launcher, I definitely know exactly how to use this in high stress situations!") irrelevant. Nice! The animations look sweet already, can't wait to see more of this one.

So you're planning on randomizing the look of the enemies rather than the typical location/behavior randomization common to platformers?

Yep! I have a dozen or so characters I plan to randomize through. I would love to give them slightly different animation sets, but I don't know that I'll have the time.

This is a really cool interpretation of the metroidvania powering up sequence. Instead of gaining powers, you're regaining powers. I like that it makes the 'instant expert' issue that metroidvanias have ("Oh hey, I found an alien technology rocket launcher, I definitely know exactly how to use this in high stress situations!") irrelevant. Nice! The animations look sweet already, can't wait to see more of this one.

Thanks!

My antidote affects right now are:

• Cure Sickness - Gives extra hitpoints
  • Cure Fatigue - Attack Faster
  • Cure Clumsy - Roll further
  • Cure Weakness - Attacks do more damage

Not a lot for today, but I did learn a good deal about interacting with skeletons/bones in unity. I attached a collide object to the hand bone, so now only the sword damages enemies as opposed to being able to stomp them to death.

Next up I want to add some invincibility frames after being hit, and some knock-back.

dqyNfI4.gif

Leaving Boston tomorrow and getting home tomorrow night. Even though I've been having a great vacation, I am anxious to get back into this.

Last night I got enemy knockback working, and damage detection limited to specific animations. I'd like to reduce damage detection to specific frames of the animation and build a timer on that to make it possible to double hit someone during a swing or really close stab, but I'm not sure I'll get back to that. Right now I'm focusing on getting systems in, and leaving all tweaking for the final hours.

I will post some new gifs tonight. The deadline is drawing close... time is limited...

As promised, and update! I have some hit knockback in there now, and the enemy can only be damaged when the player is in an attack.

OL04BEV.gif

I also have the basic level layout done with collision areas in.

LevelLayout.PNG

Right under the deadline!

There is a lot of stuff I didn't have time to get to, but I think I ended up with a "Game" experience.

I definitely plan to go back to this, and keep updating it. It has been a great learning experience, and I can't leave it where it is right now.

I hope whoever takes the time to play it enjoys their time!

Turtle animations are top notch, I feel that using your sketchbook drawings as the enemies added some flavour to the game, whether intentional or not, I liked it.

Turtle animations are top notch, I feel that using your sketchbook drawings as the enemies added some flavour to the game, whether intentional or not, I liked it.

Thanks! The smaller enemies that jump around were done by my son, and the larger stationary boss characters were drawn by my daughter. I should update my game with some of the diversifier stuff.

Thanks! The smaller enemies that jump around were done by my son, and the larger stationary boss characters were drawn by my daughter. I should update my game with some of the diversifier stuff.

Oh that's so sweet!

I really liked the character of this - the cute turtle and music, and the mix of enemies.

The platforming was a bit wonky, though, and unfortunately I couldn't get the lift switch to work.

Thanks! Yeah the platforming is my main focus now to make this better.

Which version did you play? The elevator should be fixed in the latest build.

I really liked the character of this - the cute turtle and music, and the mix of enemies.

The platforming was a bit wonky, though, and unfortunately I couldn't get the lift switch to work.

No idea - whichever version was up at around 6pm GMT on the 6th June!