Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Edge restyling?

There's some speculation on various forums (and now this one too) that the November issue of Edge will introduce a new format. There's indeed a couple of vague hints in the October issue which I have in front of me now. I'm a little big nervous, since my two-year Edge subscription starts ........ with the November issue. Crap. I hope they don't screw this up. This is from a new editorial team after all.

That's not to say that Edge can't be improved. Far from it. There's a lot of shit that needs changing, though they're luxury problems given that Edge is already superior to pretty much everything. I just hope it gets better, not worse.

Have you read GamesTM?

It's writing is occasionally superior to Edge, the features it has tend to be more amusing, and less self-indulgent.

IMHO Edge is in danger of disappearing up its own arse any time now - my feeling is a redesign would be more likely to make the magazine thinner, shinier, more expensive and more pretentious :)

It's a shame the UK print mag world seems to be a choice between GamesTM (which can be pretty juvenile at times) and Edge (which can be overbearingly pretentious), and all the OPSM2/XBoxWorld "Driv3r is so worth 9/10 buy it or your mates in the schoolyard will call you 'teh lose' to your face, here is a picture of a fit chick OMFG winnah!!!111" type mags.

Which, of course, sell massively more copies than anything else. :nuts:

pc gamer uk is THE best mag ever.

i love it, the writing is hilarious, to the point, and their reviews totally work with me. only VERY occasionally are they pretentious, but even then its not overbearing ...

... and with the recent redesign, the mag has got even better. the new "extra-life" section is great. i highly recommend it if u want a pc gaming mag.

SiN

I have not read GamesTM. I've seen it at newsstands a few times but the cover never really drew me in. Maybe I'll give it a chance sometime.

I will be highly frustrated if Edge grows more pretentious and less fresh. Especially because I'll be getting it for the next two years. (The subscription was a present, but still.)

Did anyone happen to read Polygon? I bought a subscription right as they went under, and instead of getting a refund I requested the previous year's issues... I was actually pretty disappointed. Their intentions were good and a few of the articles were good, but frequently instead of being insightful they seemed to get off simply on the fact that they were "mature" and "for adults" instead of pandering to the unwashed youths of America.

I'm curious how they'll change Edge. I've been reading the mag for a year now on school, and it really redefined my view of gaming journalism. I've heard some very good things about GamesTM, especially how they have a big focus on retro gaming. I hope to look into it soon, but I'm skeptic whether they can be better than Edge.

I have every issue of GamesTM, and can thoroughly recommend it. It makes a real change to find a games magazine with good, adult-orientated writing. And I don't mean crude writing...

Just got the November issue of Edge and it's still the same. Page 1 says that the December issue will see a restyling though.

They're just stringing you along. Soon it'll be a January restyling, then February, then May, then Edge Forever.

edge can fuck itself in its own ass.

other than the news and the columns its not worth shit.

GamesTM is far better, people whoare cool like Rob from consolevania write for it sometimes.

anyways edge? pfff.

Edge redesign celebrates Video game culture

Future's formidable games title gets comprehensive redesign

20/10/04 – Edge, Future Publishing's internationally respected multi-format Video game magazine, has unveiled its first complete redesign for more than five years.

The award-winning Edge has been considered required reading by consumers and game developers alike since its launch in 1993. The only Video game magazine with a remit that reflects the full scope of gaming's present, past and future, Edge is also uniquely placed to address its widening cultural impact. Under the guidance of its editor, Video game industry veteran Tony Mott, the redesign is intended to preserve Edge's tradition of intelligence, insight and authority while readying the magazine for the future.

On sale Thursday, October 28, issue 143 of Edge introduces a new design which maximises the visual impact of what is a fundamentally graphical medium. Moreover, changing its mission statement from 'the future of electronic entertainment' to 'Video game culture' sees Edge setting a new agenda, aggressively pursuing all that is interesting in gaming and imaginatively assessing its wider significance. With revamped game reviews and a new 'Start' section, Edge also introduces a new perspective on gaming called 'Time Extend'. This series of articles follows significant titles after the pre-release hype and the post-release criticism have died down, examining the influence they had on the people who played them and on the games that followed.

Following the successful introduction of opinion columns in 1999, Edge is bringing on board two new names -- respected industry veteran Gary Penn and academic and author Tim Guest. Penn, who worked on the first Grand Theft Auto and now designs games at Denki, offers an insider's perspective on game development, while Guest focuses on the 'second lives' of gamers, reporting back while travelling the world to investigate online communities and the fascinating culture that has rapidly grown around them.

Commenting on the redesign, editor Tony Mott said: "Once more we face the introduction of a new generation of videogaming hardware, from handheld devices like Sony's PlayStation Portable and Nintendo's DS to fully fledged PS2 and Xbox replacements for the living room, and Edge's redesign puts us in a better position to recognise and appreciate that shift. Edge readers are knowledgeable, dedicated and highly demanding consumers, and we're confident that the new iteration of the magazine will prove an even more essential companion to their pastime."

Edge 143 goes on sale on Thursday, October 28th, with a cover price of £4.

Sounds good.

Ah, they've broadened the logo/name back to its old size again. Good, good. Not too many differences on the cover of course. I'm glad to see more columnist, as they're always interesting (but it remains to be seen if SIX columns won't be a bit too much of a good thing). And interviews with Reggie are always swell.

Well, if I had a hundred euros to spare, I know what I'd buy. For now I'll just visit the media-library on school every month.

I'm bumping up this thread again for my own silly amusement.

The new redesigned Edge arrived today. Overall I'm really positive on the change.

The layout is less consistent now, with some pages in serif font and others in san-serif, more randomly placed of images, a lot more colored bars, and bigger headings with a black shadow duplicate below it. The magazine has gotten a bit more chaotic, but after the initial shock, I have to approve. Each feature is a lot more distinctly designed now, and the magazine has gotten a lot more colorful. It's like it's now celebrating games, instead of looking at it from a distance.

There's also some great structural changes, too. The columns are now at the back, the screenshots-minipreviews are gone (instead the contents page now has a great collection of images), the "random shit" section has been deleted and expanded into a section called "Start", which still has random shit except for like 20 pages now, with short interviews, sidebars, news bits, etc. thrown around. The basic idea actually works now. The columns now each look different, and the letters page is no longer shit.

Conclusion: it's good.

Oh, and it's gotten thicker by about 20 to 30 pages (actual content, not ads).

I've only read a bit of it, but so far I really dislike the redesign. Especially the way reviews look now.

They've been beaten by the ugly stick big time.

Edge always had that great, clean European look. Now it has that nasty, cluttered European look. It's not as bad as some mags (the UK OPM is fugly) but it's a step down, that's for sure.

Oh, and that cover's going to drive me nuts. It looks cool, but it makes holding the mag a chore.

"Celebrating games"?

:erm:

Uhh, "celebrating the artform of interactive digital games in the new millenium". Whatever, use your imagination, and pretend that sentence was better.

I was really unsure of the redesign at first, but after an hour of reading it really grew on me.