Plyem

The Less-Idle Thumbs: A Fitocracy Group

The Less-Idle Thumbs

(Link: http://ftcy.me/6QBCwy)

As well all know, many video games only involve running, jumping and being active on a digital level. Apart from the 'workout' games of the Kinect and Move, most games can eventually turn us into the dreaded Zelda-playing couch blob. Since we want to lead a long, healthy life, full of video-gamey goodness it may be wise to keep a mind to fitness. But getting to the gym and working up the encouragement to get moving can be pretty tough. If ONLY there was some way for your fellow thumbs to help you out!

But wait! Haven't you all heard of Fitocracy.com? I'm sure many of you had, and some may even have accounts. Fitocracy is basically a work out log with added leveling progression to act as encouragement to continue working out. There are quests and achievements for completing certain sets of workouts and hitting milestones and you can give 'props'. Its the Facebook 'Like' button except it's icon is two fists bumping (Which is actually much better). There's a news feed that posts your workouts and displays those of the people you follow & who's group you are in.

I'm quite a novice myself and using the website has allowed me to keep track of what I'm doing, see what others are up to and find new ways to work out.

The thrill of watching numbers get bigger as your muscles get bigger is only a click away!

Join us, get fit, and when the Big Dogs come you'll rest easy knowing your time as a Less-Idle Thumb has prepared you to work in their oppressive robotic salt mines.

So you're an adbot who has harvested a human to wear their skin and post pictures of it on the internet?

(Seriously, less formality/sounding like a script.)

This thread is now about gamification of fitness regimes.

I want to try Zombies, Run! at some point but I'm bad at running, so what I've been doing instead is using a couch to 5k app and pretending it's a game, which is really the same thing as gamification when you get right down to it.

So you're an adbot who has harvested a human to wear their skin and post pictures of it on the internet?

(Seriously, less formality/sounding like a script.)

I just figured it would be nice to have a well written post at the beginning, before descending into the usual forum banter. I usually lurk on the SomethingAwful forums so I guess I just got used to that style of first post when it comes to "selling" stuff.

This thread is now about gamification of fitness regimes.

I want to try Zombies, Run! at some point but I'm bad at running, so what I've been doing instead is using a couch to 5k app and pretending it's a game, which is really the same thing as gamification when you get right down to it.

I have it, its really good! I've only run with the GPS mode once and that was pretty cool. You don't have to be a good runner to use it, I'm pretty sure there are settings to pace out the events and zombie chases with you moving at a 'Walk' speed. And the zombie chases only require to speed up from whatever you were going at when it starts, which is a problem when you're already going pretty fast.

It has a pedometer function too if you aren't able to get to GPS or 3G or whatever it uses. That's the case at the moment for me but I still enjoy taking a good 30-40 minute run with the app.

I just figured it would be nice to have a well written post at the beginning, before descending into the usual forum banter. I usually lurk on the SomethingAwful forums so I guess I just got used to that style of first post when it comes to "selling" stuff.

That'd work fantastically on SA, but we're a lot less formal over here.

That said, now that I can work out again, I probably should. I'll look into it. I think I even have that press somewhere around here.

E: Oh god, levels. I might be in trouble.

Newbs should lurk moar to get a better feel for the fora before they post.

I've started the physical therapy exercises again for my arms, and it's really depressing how terrible I am at everything.

Haha, working out. I keep saying I should but then I stop. ):

I used to run quite a bit, and was doing well in terms of times at events, but was really undisciplined/irregular. Nike+ worked for a while, but I think all measurment or levelling systems get tired sooner or later. The only way I've made fitness a consistent part of my life is commuting by bike.

Best thing that worked for me was tagging along with a colleague after work. Social pressure, and paying through the nose for a fitness subscription did the rest.

The only way I've made fitness a consistent part of my life is commuting by bike.

I have lived less than 300 meters from my place of work and study for some years now. I'm actually looking forward to moving 6 kilometers or so further from my current flat, as I hope that it will make me bike more frequently. I have already checked the routes and all.

Hey, neat! I'd come in specifically to suggest an Idle Thumbs Fitocracy group. It's a concept that works far better than it has any right to, and it's far likelier to do so with a solid community group or two for support. Some local friends and I - none of us terribly fit people - have really gotten a lot out of it these past few months. I owe this app a great deal of gratitude.

While this has been talked up as healthy gamification (ouch - I feel dirty just using that word), there's far more to it as a motivational tool:

• Peer support. There's a brilliant "we're all in this together" feel from seeing other members' activities. Seeing someone else manage daily workouts will tend to inspire other group members to match it. Not out of competition or guilt; just the reality that you can do better.
  • The feeling of progress. The points system is arbitrary and not always balanced, but that's irrelevant. Simply seeing one number go up to a higher number is a much-needed reminder that you're doing permanent good here.
  • The act of tracking forces you to think about and readjust your habits. (Goodreads members will probably relate to this. I've been pitching that site recently as "Fitocracy for books".)
  • The sense that every little bit counts. Casual walking, climbing stairs and stretching - and yes, video game dancing - are all listed activities.
  • Most importantly: digital fist bumps. Even if you only manage a short walk once a month, there will be somebody there to cheer you on. Again, there's no guilt, only encouragement.

I also suggest downloading the RunKeeper app, which automatically sends all recorded runs/walks/cycles/hikes to Fitocracy.

This'd be me, for the record.

Dare to dream, Thumbs. DARE TO DREAM!

I joined, which is stupid because I'm not really planning on doing much right now apart from cycling to work and back. I started jogging in the summer but stopped after a while when I hurt my foot. I just didn't go back to it. So I guess I joined to feel guilty.

And yeah, this thread really seems like an ad.

Worst case, it's a bit of positive reinforcement for said cycling. There's no obligation to create or improve a routine - just log it as you do it, and you may find yourself naturally aiming a little higher as a result.

I can't speak for Plyem, but enthustic promotion like this is perfectly normal behaviour for Fitocracy users. If it works for you, it's hard not to wish that same success on others, even at the risk of evangelicising. Keep spreadin' the good word, brother.