Sign in to follow this  
Patrick R

Alien Vs. Predator Classic (2000)

Apologies if there's already a thread for this, I couldn't find one.

Is this game the hardest? Or the least user friendly? Or am I a video game baby? I started with the Alien campaign, which is the first listed (and thus, I thought, the recommended starting point) and after an hour and a half I can't beat the first level. I keep dying in the same spot (automated turrets) and can't figure out where to go.

I keep playing because I LOVE moving around the first-person space as an Alien. I love climbing walls, spiraling around corridors, speeding right through someone with my tail. But I can't figure out this first level.

Is another race a better starting point for this game? Or is this just bad level design? I feel like I'm constantly lost.

Yeah the game is tough. I remember playing the demo as a marine way back when and it ripped me a new one.

There must be an air vent/duct for you to crawl through. Or maybe some power supply you can destroy? That's what normally happens in video games :)

I think I remember thinking the alien was the easiest campaign. And predator the hardest

Or you could just take off and nuke the whole site from orbit.

I wish i had something meaningful to add to this conversation because i love this game, but i haven't played it since it came out and i remember so, so little about it.

I definitely played far more of Monolith's AvP2.

Is AvP 2000 worth going back to?

The first level in the Alien campaign is confusing as hell. Because of that, and the fact that there are a lot of automated turrets, I'm not sure which ones you're dying to, but you should be able to sneak up behind most of them and take them out with a charged tail strike. You also get most of your health back by biting someones head off. Even if you just kill them normally I think you can much up body parts on the ground.

I would actually recommend starting with the Marine campaign though. It's the most conventional (although the run speed is insane). It is also my personal favourite in that game.

Is AvP 2000 worth going back to?

I adore it and boot it up every once in a while. The marine campaign is still the best one of those in a game, because the aliens are super quick, deal a ton of damage and aren't scripted. It's a shooter where your weapons are insanely powerful and it still manages to be scary, which perfectly captures the 2nd movie.

I've figured out that you get behind the turrets using vents but there are so many vents and crawling through them is so insanely disorienting I always forget how to actually get there. I would save after taking one of the turrets out but they limit how many saves you can use per level and I don't know how long this level is. I already saved twice just getting there.

Think I'm gonna restart and do Marines.

AVP comes out at lan parties for some classic DM Storage battles 

As to the Alien campaign there has to be a vent missing, or a way to power them down.  Most levels have a way to win without being seen

I remember marine being the hardest because i am a FPS video game baby and cannot kill the Aliens well.  Predator view modes made that one easier - and Alien crouch-edge jump makes for aerial nonsense

Absolutely will play online Thumbs MP in Storage, even 1v1 (no pred) is good time

You can add -unlimitedsaves as a launch parameter if you want unlimited saves, use at your own risk!

Anyway, hope you enjoy the marine campaign. I'm quite curious what someone would think of it today.

I think this is yet another game I will have to put on hold until I can get the USB ports on my laptop fixed. I can't use a mouse until then, and my trackpad cannot handle the precision required to take out Aliens swarming towards me.