Sign in to follow this  
NicksGreen

Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation

Hey all. I don't post to forums very often but I find myself in need of assistance. I'm staring at the BN.com page for Bill Nye's new book, Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation. My problem is that several reviewers have called him a hack for reasons beyond believing in evolution. Normally I wouldn't take stock in such aggressive review tactics, but they have, nonetheless, planted a seed of doubt in my mind. It's a book I would love to give a shot to, and a topic I find fascinating. My question: has anybody in the Idle Books forum read this book? Do you believe that Nye is a credible source? I find myself in a hole of ignorance as to Nye's credibility, especially since my only exposure to the man is his Disney show, and one time reading about him shutting down a debate on climate change. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Nye, while not an actual scientist, is an excellent science educator. However, I prefer Stephen J. Gould's popular books on evolution, as they were written in the pre-Facebook era and are thus less preachy.

The Greatest Show On Earth by Dawkins is good. Not about religion or philosophy at all, just sweet sweet science.

Nye, while not an actual scientist, is an excellent science educator. However, I prefer Stephen J. Gould's popular books on evolution, as they were written in the pre-Facebook era and are thus less preachy.

I'm sorry, but while I love me some Gould, just you REALLY just claim that it's less preachy? That man can RANT like none other, and is incredibly condescending and alienating to anyone that isn't 100% on his side. 

Hell, I'm 100% on his side, AND I enjoy his writing and he still pisses me off.

I would recommend that you go back to first principles and read Dawkins's The Blind Watchmaker first. He wrote though long before he became who he is today. There's none of the preach rage in it.