Sign in to follow this  
Burtis Le Pants

Games from the Podcast

What games of this year have you tried out that were recommended on the podcast. Which ones did you like and would also recommend? Trying to wade through some of this years releases to find something a little off the beaten path and keep coming up short. Looking to cull the list a little further. I've been a little underwhelmed by a lot of the games I've played this year, particularly the story based indies.

I have played Super Time Force to completion and utterly loved it, everything about that game is amazingly well designed and seemingly  incredibly difficult to make.

Personally, I would whole heartedly recommend Terror Aboard the Speedwell, the sci fi text adventure that I think Danielle recommended and I thoroughly enjoyed.

Started playing 80 Days and am enjoying the little I have played.

I'm downloading Eidolon one of Danielle's picks from a month or two ago.

I enjoyed monument valley and hitman go for the time I spent with them.

I have yet to truly dive in to Broken Age and Road not Taken (which I don't think has been mentioned on a podcast) but have purchased both of them.

Has Kero Blaster been mentioned on the podcast? That was another game I played and absolutely loved, a shame it wasn't longer.

I was disappointed in Transistor, The Banner Saga, Sir You are Being Hunted and Serena and Silence of the Sleep (two adventure games that had received praise). I also burnt out on Child of Light.

I have played a tiny bit of Richard and Alice, an adventure game that seems very promising from the 20 min or so I have played.

Weirdly enough it is the extremely stupid indie games I have perhaps enjoyed the most with Roundabout, Mount Your Friends and (especially) Jazzpunk being among my favourites for the year.

Those are my thoughts/recommendations, what are yours? Let's help each other discover some games worth playing, I'm yet to have really taken to more than 2 or 3 games this year and I'd like to find something to get more enthusiastic about.

From this year? I got Transistor and quite enjoyed it, The Banner Saga disappoitinted me too for similar reasons to the Thumbs it seemed (disengaging storytelling).

I'm eagerly waiting on an Android port for 80 Days, which is forthcoming TBA.

If you include more than just this year... 100+ hours in Spelunky was very much fueled by Chris's exploits and my love for excellent movement mastery in games.

I have also played far too many hours of spelunky this year, having clocked over 200 hours myself. 80 days is well worth it and I'm with you on Banner Saga.

I would suggest you check out Eidolon, a game much like proteus, but with slightly more story elements and with a few survival elements that make it more engaging but not frustrating

Terror aboard the Speedwell is also well worth it, it takes less than 1/2 hour if I remember and is a very worthwhile experience

I feel out on an island on Transistor, I found the gameplay disappointing for a couple of reasons and the story felt truncated and left me all shrugs. Music was great though

Eidolon is on my wishlist, I've gotta deal with some backlog first though...

With Transistor I did kinda like the gameplay, I never dived deep on it so just treating is casually probably made it more challenging and meant it changed up my abilities since I died quite a bit. The story perplexed me a bit and in the aftermath I liked it, I still think it's a bit murky and uncertain but I like what I know and I think it's better to have games going away from the idea that they need to be easily understood. It definitely felt engaging and compelling to me without comprehension, so it drew me in enough to really ponder it all.

Watching Chris is what got me to start playing Spelunky as well.  My rivalry with him in his dailies (which he was unaware of) kept me playing the game.  I still do the daily challenge everyday.  I haven't been keeping track, but at this point I'm pretty sure I'm well past his number of consecutive runs (I haven't missed a day for several months now).

80 Days is wonderful.

The Banner Saga was great until the BS final boss sequence.

I like Sir, You Are Being Hunted a ton, but also get too stressed out by the game to make much progress. So I dunno if I would recommend it or not.

CS: GO is a lot of fun with friends.

I need to finish Jazzpunk, it was enjoyable.

Did not end up liking Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes despite a promising start. I thought the structure of the single player campaign was bad.

Transistor had combat that was kind of tactically interesting, and the art style was beautiful, but I hated a ton of other things about it. It was like the Bioshock Infinite of indie games.

Spelunky is still my go to game if I don't know what else to play. It's fantastic.

I finally got into DOTA 2 this year.

Games that I played sooner than I probably would have without the podcast:

• Trine and Trine 2, which are both excellent
  • Crusader Kings II and Europa Univeralis IV, which are both very good, the latter not really from the podcast, but I wouldn't have played it without first playing CK2 because of it
  • The Last Express, which I didn't like. Admittedly great atmosphere and writing, but coupled with a questionable story and graphics style and a bad interface and gameplay. Watching a video or strictly following a walkthrough (which I resorted to more than once) would probably have been more enjoyable than playing it