Sign in to follow this  
osmosisch

Lords of the Fallen: Clunky Souls

Got to the third boss that is a scythe guy in a graveyard.

Once you get his health down by one notch, he does a special move that one shot kills you.

I have no idea what to do with him so I am going to put this game on the back burner for now. A bit disappointed really.

Some character (or possibly audio log) talks about there being protective shrines in the graveyard. Standing in one of them nullifies all damage from the blast.

GAH!

Thanks Korax, once I have finished another game I will return to Lords of the Fallen.

Some character (or possibly audio log) talks about there being protective shrines in the graveyard. Standing in one of them nullifies all damage from the blast.

Yeah it's an audio log. It's Lords' equivalent of a Dark Souls puzzle boss.

I've done a video review of Lords of the Fallen, mainly in comparison to the Dark Souls series. I enjoyed the game and do think it improved on some aspects of Souls but ultimately it's a much shallower experience.

Solid video, thanks for some of the tips as well as I wasn't aware of the health mechanic either.

I just picked this game up again for the first time in ages and beat The Worshiper. I have to say I am not really enjoying how many enemies with shields there are and the not particularly clear way to beat them (outside using the gauntlet).

Still, I had forgot how pretty this game was so it has been nice to dive back in.

I am now at the final boss in the game and I am kind of annoyed. Basically the final boss is shit. In revision I think all of the bosses were a bit shit really, it is just that if you were struggling or irritated with them you could grind them down slowly with a cheap tactic or two and muscle your way through them.

The last boss turns this on its head by having an unavoidable attack that permanently reduces your maximum health and also the ability to regenerate its own. This would be a great idea as it would force rush down tactics and should mix up how you play, it just doesn't work because you need to make sure that you level up and do a bunch of side quests to make sure that you have enough health and stats to do it. I know that Dark Souls did stuff like this but it just feels like it is so much more blatant and stark in Lords of Fallen that it really drags down the game in terms of how much of an RPG it is. I don't think it would bother me in a game more like Pillars of Eternity or KOTOR where there is less skill involved but in a game like this it really makes you feel like you need more than skill to get through these moments.

Anyway, I am grinding through to strength level 31 to try and get myself powerful enough for a really good sword so that I might be able to brute it through the final boss but I am unlikely to come back for anymore of it.

UPDATE: Got to strength level 31 and killed the final boss in about a minute, I played worse than I had previously just chugged down potions whenever I felt like it because the axe I was using did 3 times as much damage. It really was a case of JRPG end boss bullshit.