Sign in to follow this  
clyde

Super Monday Night Combat League

I love Super Monday Night Combat. I'm trying to get a group together to play it every once in a while. Like many other games, it is best when played with groups that you know from somewhere that is not the game. 

The good news is that it is FREE! It costs nothing to play, but I think you do have to register a free account with Uber. 

I have captured a video of my trying to play and explain the basics of what you are supposed to be trying to do in the game. You don't have to watch the entire thing in order to pick up the basic idea.

Ideally, we can get 6 or more people to show up. A three on three game with y'all would be fun. A five on five game would be heaven. If we can only get 3-5 people, then what we could do is form a team and the go in and laugh as we are slaughtered by people who play a lot of the game. I'm not making this sound all that great, am I?

I guess I'm testing the waters here. Is anyone interested in playing this together? If so, what would be a good time and day to do so? After 7 P.M.EST is necessary for me. 

Gosh it would be so much fun to discover this game with friendly people who just want to have a good time. The characters are fun to use and when you win it's amazing, when you lose it's awful. 

I've played MNC before but not SMNC.  They're different games right?  At any rate, I'm willing to at least give it a shot (at least until I bail because I'm getting my butt kicked).

I'd play this (until I (re?)discover I hate it or suck at it) but I hate schedules so I hope people don't do that just message me on steam yo http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/twig

boom bam badda bing etc

SAM: This one's a whole lot slower-paced, much closer to a "real" Lords Management than the merely Lords Management-inspired predecessor. It also has loooads more characters and customization options.

lol forgot this forum auto-replaces moba nice

I've played MNC before but not SMNC.  They're different games right?  At any rate, I'm willing to at least give it a shot (at least until I bail because I'm getting my butt kicked).

The Monday Night Randomizer Club played MNC the other night and what I was surprised to see was that when a bunch of noobs get together, the matches tend to be pleasantly balanced. That's what I'm hoping for. SMNC is notoriously bad about disadvantaging teams when people leave mid-match, so that reliablity alone would make the game far more enjoyable.

The Monday Night Randomizer Club played MNC the other night and what I was surprised to see was that when a bunch of noobs get together, the matches tend to be pleasantly balanced. That's what I'm hoping for. SMNC is notoriously bad about disadvantaging teams when people leave mid-match, so that reliablity alone would make the game far more enjoyable.

I wanted to get in on that, but the European times don't work for me.  Sounds fun though.

I downloaded the game and setup an account.  I'm ready to be shamed.

Awesome. What would be a good evening after 7:00 EST? Maybe if we suggest a specific time/date, others will coalesce around it.

I played some more today. I hope we can get atleast a 3v3 custom match because it can get pretty tough in the public servers.

Awesome. What would be a good evening after 7:00 EST? Maybe if we suggest a specific time/date, others will coalesce around it.

I can probably do most evenings but a weekend will have the most flexiblilty.

SMNC has found its way back into regular rotation again (after I got fed up and uninstalled this spring). I'm still very interested in playing with y'all if we can get enough people. The games I've been playing are mixed bags. I've gotten into a few games with new players just figuring stuff out and also a few games with people who know what the objective is and just want to have a good game; but it's still pretty common to end up on teams of three against five players that are just way beyond my skill-level. Not to mention games like last night where the chat was full of how horrible everyone else was playing spiced with accusations of homosexuality.

I want to play with y'all is my main point.

So we have 5...ish right now? That's half-way...ish.

I think a three on three game would be worthwhile. Any opinions on that?

Edit: but man, four on four would be so much better.

I just played a game with 9 noobs. 

Friday evening February 6th 2015.

I'm not bragging, I'm saying that if there is a good time to start playing SMNC, it's probably a weekend like this one. 

Recommendations: Play Turbocross, don't play Supercross.

Also I'm available if you have any questions about the game.

Oh, pro tips:

1.Kill bots, as many as you can, killing bots wins games.

2.Turrets shields and the money ball shield  can only be taken down by bots.

3. Every character has atleast one grappling move.

4. If a teammate is grappling an enemy or an enemy is grappling a teammate, do as much damage as you possibly can while that animation is happening.

5. The first annihilator doesn't matter, don't waste your time and money.

6. If someone gets bacon from Chicky and they know what they are doing, you are pretty much fucked until they die.

7. Kill bots. Kill as many bots as you possibly can.

I just played again this morning and the matches had two very good players on each team and 3 new people on each side. That may not sound all to peculiar or amazing, but it isn't usually like this. Usually the teams are either very unbalanced or it's all advanced players with tons of endorsements (which are overpowered buffs that players earn by playing many games, they do a good job of trying to ruin the game). 

I don't know why I'm getting into matches with lots of new people this weekend, but it seems to be happening. No idea why, I hope it continues. SMNC needs new players so badly.

I've been considering trying it out a few times but was worried that by this point it would be nothing but seasoned vets and I'd just get my butt kicked everywhere.  Hearing that there are in fact noobs like me is encouraging though.  I might give it a go.

I've been considering trying it out a few times but was worried that by this point it would be nothing but seasoned vets and I'd just get my butt kicked everywhere.  Hearing that there are in fact noobs like me is encouraging though.  I might give it a go.

I played another game and felt bad because I was way better than everyone on both teams. That is not common for me at all. I never see this many new players at the same time. I don't know why there seems to be an influx of new players this weekend, but it seems super unusual to me. I know I keep repeating that, but.... I guess I'm trying to accept that it's happening. Who knows what it will be like next weekend, or tommorow I suppose. 

Oh man it would be so nice if the population of the game increased. Then new players could stand up for a second before being held down and smacked repeatitively for 15 minutes. 

I did try messing around a bit, but I never got into a game.  Does it take a long time on average?  I'd really like to give this a try but I don't want to spend 30 minutes waiting to play.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb and was trying Super instead of Turbo

I did try messing around a bit, but I never got into a game.  Does it take a long time on average?  I'd really like to give this a try but I don't want to spend 30 minutes waiting to play.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb and was trying Super instead of Turbo

I wish TurboCross was on top. I think it's natural for people to choose the mode on top first and that is not where new players should be going. Waiting 10+ minutes for a game, getting out-levelled and told to leave because you are feeding is Supercross. Turbocross can still be kinda rude, but it is comparatively far more accessible if only because it puts you in a match pretty much immediately.

SecretAsianMan and I played a public match of Turbocross on separate teams. I couldn't figure out how to put us on the same team (and we suspect that that may be an intentional design-decision of the game). 

BUT since there are only two teams, hypothetically we could go into public games of Turbocross if we had 4 people and I would have a pretty good chance of being on the same team with someone I'm chatting with which would greatly increase my enjoyment of the game. I'm still interested in a league. And of course a 3v3, 4v4, or 5v5 match between thumbs would be much more satisfying.

It was also interesting to find out that I knowledge of a game I've played for hundreds of hours has massive holes in it. SecretAsianMan was asking me about all sorts of stuff and I was like "I don't know, I've never actually thought about it or figured it out." My best guess for why Megabeth has her spinning rainbow attack was that it looks pretty. 

It was really helpful being able to pick your brain like that.  This game is not at all clear on... well anything.  I suppose if you're more familiar with Lords Managements then it's an easier transition but I was sort of looking at it like TF2 with mobs and towers, which is not even close.  The biggest hurdle for me to get over is the idea that I can't run out, die, then respawn an instant later to do it all again.  The game throws a lot at you all at once, both visually and mechanically.  I'm starting to wrap my brain around it though.  Would love to be on a team I can communicate with though.