Sign in to follow this  
maximusfuller

Idle Interviews #1 Sean Vanaman (Designer, writer)

Sean is a man that really needs no introduction on the Idle Forums but just in case you are new around here, I'll give him one.

Sean Vanaman is a video game designer and writer that is most well known for his incredible work on Telltale's Walking Dead and being co host of the Idle Thumbs podcas and Dota Today. Vanaman's earliest job in the games industry was at Disney Interactive Studio, formerly know as Buena Vista Games where he worked as an intern in their creative development group. Sean carried on working there until after his graduation from the University of South Carolina. 

He later took a job at Telltale and worked on such titles as Tales of Monkey Island and the company's Wallace and Gromit game alongside Jake Rodkin who he left the developer with to form their own company, Campo Santo games, who are currently developing Firewatch.

I contacted Sean to ask him some question for the Forum regarding game development, Campo Santo among other things.

Me: When did you first realise that video game development was the right path for you and could you ever see yourself branching out into another profession?

Sean: I don't think I ever realized that it was "the right path," to be honest.  I've always just made choices with my gut and asked myself if the work was fulfilling (it hasn't always been, but more often than not it has been, which in the video game industry, makes me very lucky) and if my gut said yes than I stuck with it. Video games continue to interest me and there's nothing quite like making something exciting or unexpected come out of a game, but it wasn't like "this is my path!" I think that's a very romantic idea that oversimplifies how life can happen. I just wanted to work on creative things with people I liked and kept my eyes wide open for any opportunity to do that. 

Game development is definitely the right thing for me right now but I've been proven wrong too many times by the way life goes to know if it will be forever. I know I'm completely committed to this game and our company and the people here and I know that I don't want to make a game in any other circumstances with any other people!

Me: Obviously you are very committed to game development and the project at hand but say when Firewatch is released, it is a success and something happens meaning that you work in the gaming industry any more what would career path would you choose?

Sean: That's a good question.  I don't really know, off of the top of my head, what I would do if it wasn't game development.  I think I'd still want to be making something, that is where I'm happiest.  I would maybe get into making actual products or something with machines -- I have a motorcycle that I like to work on a lot and I think something that combined working with people to make something (like games) and working with my hands (like working on the bike) would be pretty good.  

Me: Other than working on your motorcycle and playing Dota, what do you do in your pastime? Do you have any side projects that you are working on at home? 

Sean: I started playing the guitar a few months ago so I do that A LOT.  More than I thought I would. I turned 30 last month and was sort of worried that that ship had sailed -- I'm not particularly musical or anything like that.  But I play over an hour a day and am shocked that I'm actually getting better. It's not embarrassing when I play now.  I know that probably sounds stupid because you're taught you're entire life that "practice makes perfect," but as you get older it's easy to thing "oh I didn't learn that already so it's probably too hard." The fact is that is dead wrong.  Everything is hard, in some way, and it's the things you care about that become secretly easy. 

Me: Interesting. You sound like a very busy man!

Currently Campo Santo is working on Firewatch and at the moment it is a fairly small studio. So other than writing, Sean, do you have to double up on roles or are you only doing the writing?

Sean: We all do four, maybe five roles! Because we're so small everyone has to do everything. I run the business and do business development, do the bookkeeping, implement content in the editor, voice direct, cast, design scenarios, work with Chris on sound decisions -- lots.  Everyone's job is to just make the game and make sure the company is running well. I like it that way.

Me: Wow, with all of that I'm surprised that you have time to podcast.

I'm assuming that Fire Watch isn't that far into development or near completion but in its current state, what three words would you use do describe the game as a whole?

Sean: We're a little ways in but we've got a long road ahead. About another year, I think.  The game as a whole? I would say it's... hmm. Man, this is tough.  1. Unique. 2. Creatively ambitious (two words). 3. Amalgam (in that it's an amalgam of all the things we believe in as designers).

Me: In the future, could you see Campo Santo becoming a fairly big studio creating multiple titles like Double Fine? 

Sean: I don't see Campo Santo becoming a really big studio, no. I don't think size has much to do with success and I'd like to keep the studio working on one thing at a time unless everyone agrees we shouldn't.  I think there's something really great about all working on the same thing together.  Success for Campo Santo will be sustainability -- being able to make the things we want to make and pay people what they are worth.  If we can do that and be between ten and fifteen people, I'd be happy. But who knows! 

That's it for the interview. I will hopefully be carrying on with Idle Interviews next week with some questions for Chris Remo then after that Jake. I plan on talking to people from all corners of the industry. Any suggestions/feedback regarding pretty much anything are welcome.

For some reason Sean also asked me some questions about a whole load of things which can be seen on the Campo Santo blog which I will link once it's been published.

Thanks for reading and thanks to Sean

I have a motorcycle that I like to work on a lot and I think something that combined working with people to make something (like games) and working with my hands (like working on the bike) would be pretty good. 

Motorcycle Maintenance Simulator 2014

I am really into this whole exclusive interview for the forums angle...

Also I'd be happy to see interviews with some of the other Campo Santo folks, not just the Idle Thumbs dudes!

Also I'd be happy to see interviews with some of the other Campo Santo folks, not just the Idle Thumbs dudes!

One step ahead of you. Hoping to get Olly Moss in but I can't find his email anywhere.

He's a tough cookie to crack, if you do manage to get through to him could you ask something for me. When are we having high tea?

I will not derail this thread

You could try [email protected]

He's a tough cookie to crack, if you do manage to get through to him could you ask something for me. When are we having high tea?

You could try [email protected]

Please, please tell me that that is his legitimate contact address. Because you know, I'll try it.

Take another look at the email address :)

Also thanks for getting and posting the interview and of course to Sean for doing it. I look forward to seeing more.

Take another look at the email address :)

Also thanks for getting and posting the interview and of course to Sean for doing it. I look forward to seeing more.

I was fully aware that the email is the email of the world's greatest X Factor contestant, Olly Murs.

I'd be interested in what James Benson (the handy animator) would have to say. He's managed to carve out a niche for himself that is likely to explode in the coming years (and I'm super jealous)

http://blog.camposanto.com/post/92452707164/hello-im-james-benson-im-an-animator-im

You can contact him on twitter https://twitter.com/James9475

or his quality website: http://bensonanimations.com/aboutme.html

I'd imagine he'd be an easier get then Olly ;)

I'd be interested in what James Benson (the handy animator) would have to say. He's managed to carve out a niche for himself that is likely to explode in the coming years (and I'm super jealous)

http://blog.camposanto.com/post/92452707164/hello-im-james-benson-im-an-animator-im

You can contact him on twitter https://twitter.com/James9475

or his quality website: http://bensonanimations.com/aboutme.html

I'd imagine he'd be an easier get then Olly ;)

I'll get him once I've done all the Idle Thumbs interviews, I love his website.

I actually have a question for Sean based on your interview above that I don't really want him to answer or read or anything.

How are you not just hemorrhaging money right now?  If Firewatch is still a year away, where is the capital coming from?  Campo Santo has a sizable staff in an expensive area and there has been no public mention of publishing deals, etc.  If you need cash, let us know!

I actually have a question for Sean based on your interview above that I don't really want him to answer or read or anything.

How are you not just hemorrhaging money right now?  If Firewatch is still a year away, where is the capital coming from?  Campo Santo has a sizable staff in an expensive area and there has been no public mention of publishing deals, etc.  If you need cash, let us know!

That's actually known, they are in a partnership with a very successful company that hasn't previously been involved in games.