JonCole

PAX South - San Antonio (Jan 23-25, 2015)

0aPoyRG.png

So, anybody going to this?

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/9/5884533/pax-south-tickets-on-sale

I actually had no idea that such a thing was happening, but when I saw that news story posted on Twitter I made the decision that I'd do it because there's likely no better chance that I'll do PAX in the near future. The weekend passes are sold out now, but I managed to grab one while they were still available. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday passes are still available at $30 each at this link.

If anyone will be around, we should do some kind of mini-meet.

Real shitty that they sold out of 3-day passes that quickly. That said, I'm tempted to buy a badge for Saturday.

At the very least, I'm about an hour away so I would be down for a TX Thumbs meet-up. Maybe we could all get some Lockhart BBQ.

I don't think they've said why SA. If I had to guess, they picked Texas because of geography - central, meaning people like me living in Florida might find it a more appealing option than going up north. As to why SA specifically, it'd be because Austin doesn't have a PAX-sized convention center that I know of and that SA is the closest city to it with one (it's like 1mil+ sq. ft). From my somewhat limited knowledge of the city (my parents-in-law live there), the close proximity to the Riverwalk and other restaurants/accommodations would make it an affordable, easy to navigate venue. I don't know if there are comparable things like that in Dallas or Houston, but I'm just glad it's in SA because I get to sleep free there.

Yeah, based on discussions about where they put PAX AUS, convention centre size and centrality is really important to them, both where they start and where they can expand to, as well as the nearby developer community. I'd guess they picked Texas because of the Austin development scene.

Real shitty that they sold out of 3-day passes that quickly. That said, I'm tempted to buy a badge for Saturday.

At the very least, I'm about an hour away so I would be down for a TX Thumbs meet-up. Maybe we could all get some Lockhart BBQ.

For other PAXes, it's been intentional that they haven't offered that many 3 day badges, to try an encourage people to buy one or two days and thus be able to fit more people in. Also, as someone who has to fight for tickets to PAX Prime each year, I have no sympathy for conventions that have 3 day badges around for more than a few minutes.

I'm actually kind of glad it's not in Austin. I might have to drive a couple hours round trip, but I don't have to worry about Austin's nightmarish infrastructure. SXSW and ACL just shut our city down and make crossing the river an unbelievable pain (downtown sits just north of the Colorado River), backing up the already-questionable freeway system even more.

But yeah, Austin's essentially the third rail of US-based game design. Off the top of my head, I can think of Retro Studios, Bioware Austin, Arkane, EA, Armature...and that doesn't even cover the mobile and independent developers we've got. Hell, I worked in the same office park as Spawn Labs until they got purchased up by Gamestop and moved on to (presumably) bigger and better appointments.

I guess I meant to ask because I don't really think of San Antonio being that big or having much game related.

I would have preferred Houston, since I live in Austin and really tend to dislike this city, but I'm also never going to PAX so it doesn't matter.

I think this year's PAX AUS will determine whether or not I'm going to make time for future PAXs. It's healthy for the local development scene to have a show that takes them seriously - the only other gaming-focused show is the EB Expo, which is very heavy on the AAA stuff and pretty sprasely populated. I gave up on that fairly quickly.

I'd venture to guess that San Antonio is significantly cheaper than Houston in all respects, and it probably makes travel and lodging cheaper for the attendees as well.

Plus, you know, the Alamo.

Bumping this thread to once again ask if anyone is coming to this. Now that we have that world map of Thumbs I see that many of you are northern US or coastal, so I'm guessing there won't be a flood of you. :P

Alright, I bought a ticket for Friday. What panels are you planning to attend? The Geoff Keighley one seems interesting, but the only one I care about is the Giant Bomb panel.

Oh snap! I live in San Antonio—but PAX caught me unawares this morning—if any of you guys wanna meet for drinks or whatever after the dealio, lets.

My wife and I did the circuit today, a little bit of everything to get an idea what was going on plus the 404 panel and the Giant Bomb panel. If people are still around tomorrow or Sunday, I'm sure we'd be willing to meet up. Today was just a little overwhelming, our first convention of this type ever. Also I'm falling asleep as I type this because I'm an old man. G'night.

I'm already home, sorry guys. And Jon, I was the guy who asked Drew about Elite & Oculus VR.

I caught a few panels, shot the shit with the GB crew and managed to see Elite: Dangerous with the Rift. All in all, it was a good day.

The show floor is kind of sparse, but there were some cool things. I would recommend checking out the Elite booth (though you should do this as early as possible--the line gets crazy quickly), and you should also check out Road Redemption if you haven't. They have a booth on the outer edge near the Twitch megabooth.

Hopefully the attendance was big enough that they continue the show next year. It would be nice to live near a big game-centric expo.