colinp

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

I dunno. I'm holding on for the paid expansions if I'm honest. The Firaxis track record of getting their expansions right is pretty impressive in my experience, and from having played the demo the bedrock of the game is pretty solid. I guess it's a fairly substantial rework of the surface that's needed.

Bit of a bump, but if anyone is interested they've been showing off their expansion news for some time now. The game has had a couple of patches which address a couple of large mechanical complaints from release (mainly, Wonders and Health).

Doubt it'll suddenly make anyone do a 180, but good progress all the same. I absolutely love the game - far more than I got into CiV and I only got CiV with G&K attached. But that's just me - it's been fascinating reading peoples' sci-fi opinions and their favourite authors.

Also, more love for Peter F. Hamilton, geez!

This post is going to cover three items. The ARC faction doesn't make any sense. The game seems to hold together better with the patches and positive unit development choices.

I hated the ARC faction. It didn't make any sense. They are the other South American faction that quotes Adam Smith but has an espionage bonus... The first South American faction is from Brazil and militaristic. The Brazilian faction makes sense and holds together.

The second South American faction doesn't make any sense. It like they took the North American Morgan capitalist's (Alpha Centauri) bought off minor faction. Their bonus to espionage is just weird. They should rewrite them to get a energy or trade bonus (same as the Australians...) . It like their Morgan's city state that is playing him for more money. If your a capitalist, be a capitalist. If your polictical, be political.

I played 40 hours on the new patch. The health stat seemed rebalanced and the AI was able to win. I had to march my army across the world and destroy their mind stem. The evolved (bug) faction seemed the strongest with all unit auto healing 35 a turn. I need more play through to determine play balance.

The one great thing about this game is the military units. The auto upgrade in interesting ways and it is seamless. You don't have to pick equipment like new tank barrels, rebuild new armies, or hit the upgrade button and pay energy. It was the one great improvement of the game.

Sounds like the DLC is good. I'll get it when the price is lower, think it's a bit high for a patch that just fixes the game to become what it already should be. Also wish there was a DRM-free version.  :)

I just got this on sale this weekend, and I like it? i only played the original Alpha Centari once a couple of years ago, so maybe it's my lack of nostalgia? Anyway, AI is dumb, but otherwise nice game.