Sign in to follow this  
osmosisch

Faëria - a tactical hex CCG

http://www.faeria.net/

7IMTqVI.pngnonv2jv.jpg

I checked out this game's kickstarter and was intrigued enough to back it, and I have to say nothing has captured my interest like this since Pox Nora.

Key feature: NO BUYING OF CARDS FOR MONEY. You get points by playing which you spend on booster packs, and then you can trade - but you can't put money into the game except by paying for expansions or cosmetic items further down the road. I can't say how refreshing this is.[/url]

There's also a very interesting resource/spatial mechanic where you need X terrain tiles of a certain type in your domain to be able to play certain cards, thus forcing expansion and conflict.

Any thumbs in on this? I'd love to get some games going.

It looks atmospheric and fun. Love the hex based territory aspect, that adds a fun twist to cards that could work very well.

I saw it at a distance at PAX and it interested me enough to bookmark it. It has a really striking art style, but games were taking forever so I couldn't stick around and wait to play myself.

Both players only have 20 minutes max for their turns, chess clock style before they start taking damage every turn, so games tend to be over fairly quick. I can imagine that's still too long for a demo both though.

The community has been super friendly so far by the way which is something I hadn't realised I really missed from other online games, playing mostly loma games lately.

It feels like a lot of the newer card games are aiming for about 10 minute games. Seeing that WoW CCG played is crazy how fast a round goes by.

Regardless, I have this on my Kickstart watch list now.

I backed this and played the handful of tutorial missions in the beta, no multiplayer yet. I've enjoyed it so far! I like that positioning is important without being just a boring 5-lane thing, but that it's still primarily a card game and not, say, a wargame (not that there's anything wrong with that). I also appreciate their definitive stance on microtransactions.

It felt quite polished and well-designed despite being from a pretty small, inexperienced(?) team compared with the massive M:TG or even something like SolForge. That's one of my main concerns with games like this: with few designers it seems pretty hard to build a deep game that's also reasonably balanced and can support an active community of players. They appear to have solved this by having just worked on it for a bunch of years already?

I backed at the $25 level, because apparently if you choose $15 you'll need to pay another $15 at final release. That's kind of a weird choice that they don't seem to make clear anywhere; most projects offer beta or early access at higher tiers only, on top of the full game release. I guess they're hoping people will try the beta and then upgrade their pledges.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing more someday. Looks like they'll make the goal pretty comfortably.

Be sure to hit me up if you see me online Laco I already have spares of quite a few commons (the 50-cost starter decks are absolute steals to get started with).

I love card games and I love tactics games, but so far I've never really liked games that combined the two. Everyone here seems to like this though so I'll probably check it out.

Did you try Pox Nora, TLB? That's the closest analogue I've played, though this game has some rather different ideas about the map and deck.

So I logged into this yesterday and mysteriously had something like 6000 extra "memoria" (currency for buying cards). This when winning a low level game earns you 50-100 memoria. This means I've been able to go crazy buying the most expensive boosters, and despite having played a grand total of one match against a human opponent, I'm swimming in cards. Apparently this was a one-time bonus for early backers, but they're not going to wipe accounts after the beta, so... I guess any idea of balance in terms of unlocked cards vs. player experience are out the window? Oh well. I guess a few thousand isn't that big a deal to some hardcore players, but if it took 50+ wins there's no way I'd have earned it legitimately without playing for a few months at least.

Anyway, I'm still liking the game. The match I played I went mostly for forest creatures, while early on my opponent dropped a couple of buildings that dealt direct damage to me each turn, right over the other side of the board where I couldn't get at them quickly. So I slowly built my way over to their orb, building up an army as I went. I was already down to half health when it arrived, so it wasn't going to be enough, but a couple of turns from the end I dropped a creature that rerouted any damage dealt to me to itself instead. My opponent was doing tricky things with moving the hexes my creatures were standing on, so it eventually came down to a single turn before I managed to wipe them out. So many possibilities make it feel pretty tense!

As as an online-only game, I like the simplicity of decisions (no complex targeting or interrupts), and the way each player just has a 20 minute time limit instead of having to wait a few seconds for every... single... phase... in a turn, which is the main reason I've never played Duels of the Planeswalkers online despite sinking many hours into those games offline.

My Kickstarter reminded popped up and reminded me to get in on this mere hours before it ended. I plugged in my code yet, but I haven't played at all.

There's some kind of neat tutorial quests that also get you started with basic cards and some ingame cash to spend on packs.

In what sense? In general you just plonk 'em down.

If it's about activated abilities, this is by far the biggest ui problem - you need to hover the unit that has the ability, then there will be a popup letting you use it. I really hope they come up with something better for that,.

Hmm that might be it. I put down structures with abilities like "! energy, 1 faerie: Gain 1 gold and 1 card" and I couldn't get it to trigger for the life of me. I'll try what you said, but I'm out of quests to try it in so I guess I'll have to do it in a live game.