Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 227: What's the Deal with Lord Management?

In theory, I love that Riot is actually asking these questions; how do we design around counter-play, how do we avoid anti-patterns. 

But in practice, because the game has been built by professionals and not grown over years of amateurs and crazy people, it lacks the organic fluidity of Dota 2.

I would be interested in some examples of this 'organic fluidity' because I don't know what you mean.

I thought I'd stop in to say you guys did a nice job of keeping the discussion approachable. I haven't seen Dota 2 at all and my time with League of Legends was maybe 15 minutes playing the tutorial but I didn't find the discussion all that difficult to follow so kudos for that.

Three Moves Ahead is good that way. They can be discussing the most obscure tabletop war game that you've never heard of, and you will still be following along totally engaged.

Listening to Sean make an analogy for what sport LoMas most resemble, he said the flow is most like soccer. I agree, it's back and forth. As you have the advantage attacking, you control more of the field. As you defend, you collapse back to the box.

I was struck that the analogy for actually coming back and winning the game is surprisingly similar to baseball, though. You're not constrained by time, only by resources (outs). So as you accrue advantages and deny the opponent resources, it becomes less and less likely that a comeback will happen, but that number is never 0% until it ends. The Phillies and Diamondbacks played an 18 inning game a week or so ago (this is the example for the Chinese Meta). The benches were so depleted that the Phillies used an outfielder to pitch. He gave up 5 runs in the top of the 18th. Do the Phillies still get to bat? Yes. Do they have a realistic chance to win the game after that? No, not really. But technically the game is not over. 8 guys in a row could get hits in the bottom of the 18th and the Phillies COULD win. The enemy team COULD walk one by one into the fountain while you destroy their base.

Fangraphs even produces a Win Expectancy graph that the gold and experience graphs sneakily resemble.

http://www.fangraphs.com/wins.aspx?date=2013-08-24&team=Phillies&dh=0&season=2013