Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Dota Today 5: With Brad Bot Shoemaker

If it helps, that was basically my first experience too, and I was playing with friends.

(I haven't really loaded it up since)

That does help, thanks.

I should probably mention I was extremely drunk when I wrote that diatribe. I regret nothing. 

That's pretty unfortunate, because I probably won't.

Minimal UI is a pretty big deal for me.

That kind of thing is deliberate in many competitive multiplayer games (StarCraft is the same way) because it is one part of keeping everyone on the same playing field—so you don't have some players able to see more of the arena than others.

Heh, it's definitely true that that is a thing in competitive games, but the argument is sort of undermined by different resolutions in Dota revealing more of the world. At least, I'm pretty sure!

Heh, it's definitely true that that is a thing in competitive games, but the argument is sort of undermined by different resolutions in Dota revealing more of the world. At least, I'm pretty sure!

Ah if that's the case, then yeah my claim doesn't apply. That would surprise me! In StarCraft 2 you can adjust the resolution but has no effect on the scale of the units or world relative to your screen size. You fit the exact same amount of stuff in the screen, it's just rendered at higher DPI.

Yeah, I suspect, though, that's it's more of a bug than an intentional design decision? Or, not "bug", but unintentional consequence. Whatever. Although, yes, I should have specified that it's only different aspect ratios that affect your field of view, and not just straight up increasing the resolution. So it's MOSTLY true that it's an even-playing-field thing.

I was mostly just being a nitpicky buttface.

I really enjoyed the tutorial, up until I started playing against humans. I thought I would be playing with people as clueless as me, but instead I'm playing with Russians who yell at me because I have no idea what I'm doing or what they're saying. About 5 mins in someone on my team will eventually leave, and then it's about 15 more minutes of getting murdered until the game is over. I think actually playing this game might not be for me.

Yeah the problem there is it's full of people who are trying to get the Sniper gun. I definitely played the tutorial despite having over a year of Dota 2 experience. But I was very forgiving of everyone and also didn't really care. X:

Also then I got so mad at Dota like five nights in a row that I decided I needed to force myself take a break and uninstalled the game on the spot after a particularly nasty experience. I wish I could just not get mad at video games, but I'm so fucking competitive that I do it no matter how much I tell myself I won't. I'm so jealous of people who don't get mad. D:

I've already had to talk myself down from reinstalling the game twice. It's good that I gave myself that extra barrier of installation or I'd just jump right in and start yelling at my friends again. I'm the worst human being.

I wouldn't mind so much if I could actually communicate. But as it stands now I don't even know what lane to start in, if I'm picking up the wrong hero, or what items to buy in the later stages (I get that there are suggested builds, but I don't know enough about the items to know when/how to use them).

Yeah I'm of the opinion that, although the tutorial is probably the best built-in you can find for the genre, it's still not complete. For example, they don't even teach you that jungling is a thing. Or denying. Or what lanes should be like. Or what a carry even is. I dunno, there's a ton of things they can do to improve the tutorial. I'm sure they will, too. Or at least I hope.

We've got Greg Kasavin on tonight so if you've got any questions for him, fire away!

When is the Kid going to be a hero in Dota 2?

I'm sorry I don't actually have anything. ):