miffy495

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

So rather than keep on posting about EVERY new 3DS game in the 3DS thread, I figured I'd start one for this game. I'm about halfway through the Clockworks section right now (abandoned factory setting! Neat!) and am completely in love with this game. So much charm. I chuckle pretty much all the time when I'm playing this game. Usually I play my handheld games with the sound way down, but that is not happening with this one. The sound design is great and I don't want to turn it down, even if I'm on my break at work. I almost want to take extra time to solve puzzles because it will mean Luigi starts humming.

Anyone else playing? I'd be down for some Scarescraper team-ups too (in a couple of weeks when school is finished) if people are interested. Who's down with Luigi?

Yes. I'm only about to finish the first mansion, but this is a wonderful game. More thoughts later, I'm going to play more now..

I've only just reached the boss of the first mansion, but I love all of the delightful little details everywhere. I'm getting lousy scores on each mission because I insist on taking half and hour and exploring every room in every mission, since they can change ever so slightly each time. I got Professor Layton at the same time, though, so I'm constantly torn between playing the two most charming games on the 3DS.

Oh, two things that really stick out: Using an original DS Phat as a replacement for the Gameboy Horror is the most adorable thing, and those rare few rooms where the framerate bumps all the way up to max because it's not rendering as much stuff are really weird to see.

I'm down for Scarescraper at some point. Do we have a 3DS friend code thread?

What? The two reviews I read said it was near perfect.. (Eurogamer and PocketGamer)

Anyway, it changes gears, switches things up often enough so it doesn't feel like a chore. Even stuff that is literally a chore (clean up all 'em cobwebs) ends up being more fun than it sounds like. At least up to where I am now, the second mansion.

I do wish E. Gadds would not talk this much, though..

I love it, but I think it starts feeling a bit unnecessarily padded, mainly because of how the level breaks are a constant reset button on the environments.

It's definitely worth playing though. It is wonderful, one of the 3DS's best for sure. It's irresistibly charming for one, but it's also mechanically quite a solid, fun game.

I'm retroactively angry at the people who told me not to play Luigi's Mansion when i bought a Gamecube, they said it sucked.

Did anybody play the original? Did it suck?

I'm down for Scarescraper at some point. Do we have a 3DS friend code thread?

http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/7301-3ds-friend-codes/

^ Right there, it is.

The original did not suck at all! It was delightful and full of the same charm (i.e. Luigi whistling through the songs).  It didn't have the level structure, just one long romp through one mansion, which to me feels superior. You really missed out. :P

I love it, but I think it starts feeling a bit unnecessarily padded, mainly because of how the level breaks are a constant reset button on the environments.

It's definitely worth playing though. It is wonderful, one of the 3DS's best for sure. It's irresistibly charming for one, but it's also mechanically quite a solid, fun game.

I'm retroactively angry at the people who told me not to play Luigi's Mansion when i bought a Gamecube, they said it sucked.

Did anybody play the original? Did it suck?http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/7301-3ds-friend-codes/

^ Right there, it is.

It's been a decade or more, but I remember enjoying Luigi's Mansion on Gamecube quite a bit!

The original has a really obnoxious boss battle right in the middle, but otherwise it's fantastic. I feel like it got a bad reputation because people were expecting the established pattern of getting a Mario game at launch and got a weird spin-off game instead.

Play the original. With the exception of the King Boo boss fight at the end of the game, I can't think of anything I'd change about it. It's a fantastic game. Short (I remember it being slammed mostly for length and not being a platformer at the time), but so damn good. Definitely one of my fondest memories of the GCN/PS2/XBOX era. When they announced Dark Moon, I decided to replay it, so I last beat Luigi's Mansion about a year ago. It still holds up, and you should totally find a copy.

I really like this game. My favorite thing is that the entire D-pad is dedicated to making Luigi say "hellooo?" in different ways, serving no gameplay purpose at all. Also, the music is extremely catchy.

I really like this game. My favorite thing is that the entire D-pad is dedicated to making Luigi say "hellooo?" in different ways, serving no gameplay purpose at all. Also, the music is extremely catchy.

Holy cow, what? This will immediately increase my liking of this game tenfold, I imagine.

Yep, the game is now ten times better due to being able to make Luigi say "Yoohooo?" all the time.

I had a few games of the Scarescraper and found it quite amusing.

That MP component is more fleshed out than i would have expected.

So I guess Dark Moon carries on the Luigi's Mansion tradition of having one really awful boss battle, because the fourth boss in this game is astonishingly terrible. It feels really lazy and totally different from the rest of the game. Thanks, Miyamoto.

The clock boss? God, it was dreadful. After finishing it I put down the game, haven't returned to it again yet.

The one after that one actually. And just now I played through a boss that was a callback to my most-hated part of the first game:

Boolossus

followed by a really irritating

timed enemy waves thing that I died on after like ten solid minutes of taking down at least a good fifty or sixty ghosts.

That part just goes on forever. This is a really sour way to end the game, especially considering the first boss is so good.

I'm surprised to hear the later bosses are that terrible, the first one in the first mansion seemed terrifically clever.

The one after that one actually. And just now I played through a boss that was a callback to my most-hated part of the first game:

Boolossus

followed by a really irritating

timed enemy waves thing that I died on after like ten solid minutes of taking down at least a good fifty or sixty ghosts.

That part just goes on forever. This is a really sour way to end the game, especially considering the first boss is so good.

Oh, god.. the clock guy isn't the worst boss? I'm afraid of continuing this game now..

The first boss was such a magnificent thing.

Would love to know what the bosses were like before Myomoto turned the tables.

So...

What exactly didn't you like about the clock tower boss fight?

I don't know. It wasn't the first boss, for one.

I wish it had been a puzzle, but besides that it also just felt more like an endurance test. It's not hard, it's just how willing are you to go through that again and again until you're fast enough to make it through all those god damn ghost waves. There wasn't anything to figure out. No weak spot to look for. Also it didn't help that when I died the first time I had to redo the big clock section again (but that's a general problem with the game). I can live with the actual boss ghost guy being the same one every time, but only if his surrounding gimmick is fun (like the first one).

It just felt out of place (more action less puzzle) and boring for a game that is otherwise so clever. And it felt like a very high difficulty spike, action-wise, compared to the rest of the mansion.

It wasn't that it was bad, I was just completely exhausted after playing it and not in a fun way. Now I'm just sad that this isn't the worst boss of the game, apparently. At least the mansions are fun as hell, still. The puzzles ramp up in difficulty nicely, I think.

If the clock ticks through a full hour while you're busy with a wave, what actually happens?

Once i realized that i could manipulate the hands of the clock with the poltergust, i assumed the worst and just made sure to keep giving myself more time, there was definitely nothing to it about being "fast enough" to complete the waves.

I thought it was kind of a cool boss fight.

If the clock ticks through a full hour while you're busy with a wave, what actually happens?

The wave starts over.

Once i realized that i could manipulate the hands of the clock with the poltergust, i assumed the worst and just made sure to keep giving myself more time, there was definitely nothing to it about being "fast enough" to complete the waves.

WHAAAAAAAT?! That would've made it infinitely more enjoyable had I figured that out..

I didn't even realize I was being timed until it hit six or so. I just strongarmed it in one go. I totally understand, though, because the timed parts of this game are easily the worst thing about it. The first boss is still the best, because it's the only one that really feels like it belongs in the game. It's an elaborate puzzle rather than some dumb action minigame.

Also, I beat the game last night. The last boss is actually pretty good and the boss before that is tolerable, so that's a plus!