Sign in to follow this  
I_smell

Animated Shorts

I love that short, it's actually part of a series of independent animated shorts from artists all over the world. Here's the full collection of them in one video (I unfortunately couldn't find a convenient place that had them all but separated into different videos)

Yeah, Late Night Work Club's first compilation was brillo pops. And Charles Huettner is doing some fantastic work all the time! i_smell, what do you mean unappealing?

As usual, Gobelins School of Animation is doing some amazing work on the Annecy Animation Festival intros this year. http://motionographer.com/2014/06/13/gobelins-annecy-2014/

i_smell, what do you mean unappealing?

Like here's this slow, quiet, confusing short that's just generally designed to feel kind of uneasy the whole time.

You can't show that to friends and family and rely on them to find something interesting in it, and most people on the internet are not even gonna watch to the end. I relegate academically interesting projects to way back on the shelf, cos I'm just scared of spending months on something that I won't get a nice pat on the back for at the end.

Other shorts at least have this jovial pace, or a fun protagonist or some exciting mystery to be answered; but this one especially just made me think "Wow, how do you maintain confidence in the project for the length of time it takes to animate this?"

Ah, I gotcha! Yeah, Charles Huettner is bold in that way and he almost exclusive does this kind of stuff.

So there's a sort of short film festival thing going on in Japan right now called the Japan Anima(tor)’s Exhibition, and it's featured three shorts so far:

Hill Climb Girl, about a girl who loves to race bicycles against a boy, featuring heavy use of CG.

The Dragon Dentist, a sort of fantasy war short about a girl trying to become a "dragon dentist."

ME!ME!ME!, a surreal, super-NSFW, nightmarish looping music video that serves as both a tribute to GAINAX and as a portrait of otaku culture's simultaneous obsession with and fear of sex.

Make sure to set the site to English so you can turn on the subtitles. The short intro sequences are all fanmade.