Erkki

Primordia and why I've had enough of this AGS resolution bullshit

Toon Boom is Flash-based. I tried a demo of flash recently and it seemed much less animation-oriented than when I first tries it some eight years ago or so, but it might just be Adobe focusing more of the dev side.

"Flash based" in that it's another program with keyable timeline and vector graphics? Would that make After Effects Flash based as well? Wha?

I may be completely off on this, but I remember reading that for the most part the Toon Boom format is based on Flash? I don't know, I've never used, much less programmed for, Toon Boom. I know at least enough about animation to recognize that keyframes and vectors are by no means proprietary, I just remember reading statements from animators (Adam Phillips, Nick Cross, John Kricfalusi) saying that switching from Flash to Toon Boom was easy because they were able to convert all their old work and keep a similar workflow, which I don't think is true between Flash and, say, After Effects. I wouldn't take my word as any authority because I don't know shit about working as a professional animator, I was just a nerdy high school student who geeked the hell over animation for a few years until I looked at animation school tuition.

I don't pay attention to anyone on that list but John K., but he just seems to enjoy all of the features in Harmony more than Flash, which he consulted on very early in the 90s in terms of of tools needed to animation, It wouldn't have to be created on the basis of Flash development to import FLAs. Kind of like how you can export swfs from Maya now. Things like animation curves and tweened shapes are proprietary to all digital animation programs (good ones at least). Toon boom is useless for video games though, which is the edge Flash has.

The issues with Flash interacting with other Adobe programs is that they treat Flash like shit. It never gets any useful new features, the framework never seems to be updated to flow better, and it tends to be still buggy as shit with an outdated vector creation. There's no useful non cheesy filters or nice brushes if you wanted to skip post processing for painterly style animation. Meanwhile Adobe updates all of their other programs extensively. It's like after they bought it out from Macromedia they wanted the file format, not the program itself.