Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Academia, gaming, blablabla

There's some kind of weird feature at GameSpot. It's called "blablablablabla". The author starts out with "blablabla", then says that academia is boring and that she will use her skills to challenge that notion, then writes a couple of pages that are more boring and confusing than academia ever could be and perhaps then it will get better, I hope. I'll get back to reading it.

Update: I found the point where it starts to get interesting. Somewhere in the middle of Page 6.

Edit. It's starting to bother me that the author refers to "game theory" several times in relation to video games. Sorry, but the term has already been taken.

I'm working on a feature about the gaming academics for Idle Thumbs (with a different approach from that of GameSpot). It's too bad that a feature about academics immediately turned into something so dry and formal, like it has to. It's still fairly interesting though and it covers all the major issues.

God, the boringness of GameSpot! Please, Marek, make it more Idle style!

Yeah, that's right bring back the motherfucking goose!

More seriously, Idle Thumbs article are truly excellent - maybe the best around - but, is it me or half the time you feel obliged to put some fuck or "bad words" to give the whole a cool attitude?

I think it's awesome that we're seeing academia start to embrace games as an artform, and that you can already do courses in game design theory etc. I'd probably love to do something like that.

No, I think a number of us are just too easily excitable. We don't feel obligated to include one 'fuck' per story or anything. We have some PG rated content ¬ Like that Eric Chahi interview.

The Eric Chahi interview is the new Beyond Good and Evil - it will henceforth be the one thing we cite to prove that there can be goodness and variety in the world.

gamespot isnt a bad website, but it seems REALLY dry to me. everything from the reviews to the articles to the news is done in such a serious manner ... i cant stand it! :) usually, if i read a news article on gamespot, ill read it again on here on idle thumbs & my pcgamer-uk mag, cos both present it in a far more interesting and humourous manner.

as for the article, i have yet to read it, but ill prolly do so soon ... the whole games turning into art thing is pretty exciting, but the industry still has to mature for it to get into full swing/acceptance

SiN