toblix

Beneath a Steel Sky II

If you followed the Broken Sword Kickstarter, you probably noticed that:

• The last stretch goal, at one million dollars, was «greenlighting Beneath a Steel Sky II,» whatever that means, and,
  • They didn't reach that goal.

Also, you've probably heard that, strangely,

• They still greenlit Beneath a Steel Sky II

I guess it undermines the stretch goals, and is in a way disingenuous, even though anyone who did back the Kickstarter (or increased their pledge) in an attempt to reach that goal now get what they wanted after all ... I don't know what to make of it.

The gut gamer in me, the one that always wants more, more, more and loves when sequels to games I love are announced, is super happy about this. I really loved the original Beneath a Steel Sky, and I'm really excited to get to see more of that world, more of those characters and more of that game. The rational, tweed-wearing sophisticated gamer in me scoffs at all sequels, and would prefer Revolution to spend their resources creating something new and experimental and smokes a pipe.

So there are now three old-school point and click adventures being created by known, non-German point-and-click studios: BASS II (I'm assuming it will be point and click, though I don't think that's been confirmed,) Broken Sword 5 and DFA. With Telltale having revived and in some ways modernised the genre for me, I'm pretty happy with how the next couple of years are looking, point-and-click-adventure-wise.

Oh, and I loved the voices in the BASS talkie version. FIGHT

I liked Beneath a Steel Sky but I feel like its a game that was appropriate for its time and does not need a sequel or a nostalgia remix. I'd rather have something new

I'll say what I say in the Kickstarter thread, I kinda lost confidence in them a lot, the fact that I owned all the Broken Sword games, yet I completely forgot that Broken Sword 4 which doesn't bode well for me. I wouldn't be the only person to say Revolution software game's aren't as good as they used to be.

You don't get it man. It's 2D now. The stories in the 3D games were all terrible because they were all about polygons and texture mapping. 2D's gonna fix all those things and make everything all right again.

I just feel like they've lost their touch. The new version of BASS replaced the great iconic music that plays during the intro with a bland copy. They ruined the logo as well. The BS1 director's cut also completely ruins the literally explosive beginning of the game by adding a whole slow paced new segment before it. I didn't back the BS5 Kickstarter because I don't trust that Cecil can make games as good as that anymore.

I just feel like they've lost their touch. The new version of BASS replaced the great iconic music that plays during the intro with a bland copy. They ruined the logo as well. The BS1 director's cut also completely ruins the literally explosive beginning of the game by adding a whole slow paced new segment before it.

I have no idea what you're referring to.

I lost faith in Revolution the second I heard the song for the Broken Sword 3 credits. On the other hand, all of those locked doors and box puzzles were not a problem.

Ah, yes. I missed the bit where you said BS1. Yeah, they dropped the ball on the so-called "Director's Cut". Still don't think they ruined the opening of BASS, though.

I am not happy that they are making sequel to BASS. That story is perfectly told in one game and it had awesome voice actors and art and basically everything. Also I do keep Revolution in high value as these guys made Lure of the Temptress and BASS original and cd version free all those years ago and supported ScummVM.

I did back Broken Sword 5, but I don't like the art style of the characters so far, look far worse than even in the old games to me. The background artists however deserve a thumbs up, really nice work so far.

BS4 was horrible and I didn't even finish the demo of it because I lost interest in it, I remember the game being mostly outsourced anyway and that already gave hints that the production would be not that great. BS3 was Charles Cecil's masterwork with his "2D adventures are dead" talks in the press continuously even though the game was in the end a mediocre story with crate puzzles.

So yeah, I gave Charles & the gang money for BS5, but I am trying to not get my hopes up too much. Their recent track record is not that great, but I am happy that even though they fired most of their people a few years ago, they did not close shop and are coming back now. My chosen game from their Kickstarter GoG reward will be In Cold Blood. I've never played that game and I have BS1-BS3 already in GoG. The fourth game I'll just try to forget that it even exists. :)

How is the Director's Cut to Broken Sword 2 by the way, that is included in the GoG release, but I haven't had time to play it. The first DC I did complete and I felt it really didn't add anything important to the game and could've been just left out and released as the original was. That's why I like the GoG release as it does include the original version also.

How is the Director's Cut to Broken Sword 2 by the way, that is included in the GoG release, but I haven't had time to play it. The first DC I did complete and I felt it really didn't add anything important to the game and could've been just left out and released as the original was. That's why I like the GoG release as it does include the original version also.

There isn't a "Director's Cut" of 2, AFAIK. It's just a Special Edition where they added some nice Dave Gibbons close-ups when the characters were talking, etc.