Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Advent Rising - the non-sucky RTX Red Rock?

AdventRising_113.jpg

ARxbox_07.jpg Shot00012.jpg

I missed this game at E3 (though apparnetly some people were paying attention who I've talked to since) but some of the promo art caught my eye on Majesco's site when I was looking for any sign of Psychonauts stuff.

It reminds me of RTX, which is a little scary, but Advent Rising seems from the trailer to have actual variety and action, instead of RTX's monotonous exploring of repetitive hallways and unexciting fights. Also Advent Rising's story (and I guess some of the "overseeing" of the game) is by sci-fi author Orson Scott Card. Who knows if that means anything, but at least they're trying for a story. Also it's apparently the first game in a planned trilogy. All tentative positives in my book.

So I finally checked out their in-game footage trailer, and I can't deny that I was impressed. I mean, it looks like they're trying for some engaging visual style and gameplay and stuff, but you really can't tell from a video.

However, It's one of the few video clip shows I've seen that actually manages to look interesting and varied while staying entirely within the in-game "behind the player" camera. No cheap editing or development "flying camera" tricks were used to make it look more dramatic than it does when you're playing; it seems to manage it in-game.

Anyway, I'll be keeping a very wary tentative eye on this one. I mean with stuff like this... it looks decently cool, but it could easily also be a turd (albeit, a bit like RTX, a very polished one).

Official Site

Download Videos

I recommend the most current one at the top, as the one at the bottom seems to be pre-rendered and therefore a bit more deceptive.

Yeah I agree, but I kind of like the look. I mean, it's not done that often in games, at least not in the sci-fi variety. Of course, sci fi movies with characters that look like that generally turn me off immediately ... that could be because the only sci fi film atm with characters like that is the new The Thunderbirds movie, but yeah. *shudder*

Wow... This is definitely one of those games that holds a solid spot on my "Could be completely awesome" and "Could be completely terrible" lists simultaneously. There's a bit too much Matrix bullet-time business, it seems, but if it's done tastefully it could be a lot of fun.

Wooh. I hope this will be the game for xbox that gives the xboxmachine a buzz likewise the Amiga has. Amiga had some unreal great games of its time. Hope this will be the same but in this game era. (I'm assuming it's for xbox)

Edit: Oops. oh yeah. It's for xbox. Wasn't thinking about the logo in the end of the video.

Edit2: Oh, and it reminds me a litte of these things: 1) The Dig (some of the first videos from the site does that to me) 2) Phychonauts (the colour scheme) 3) Halo (the HUD) or what you call it, the shield and health symbols 4) Final Fantasy, the awesome smooth graphics.

Wow. Glyfx, or what they are called are good. Just checked out their illustrations.

This thread should be renamed to Until Psychonauts comes out, only nice things are to be said about Majesco.

This thread should be renamed to Until Psychonauts comes out, only nice things are to be said about Majesco.

He's got a point...

I think Chris's assessment sums up whats going on better than Kingzoid's.

Note I haven't said anything about how I'm interested in BloodRayn3 or how I think it's a good idea.

He's got a point...

No duh, we'll be nice to them even after Psychonauts is released if it's good, if it's bad we'll hate them because they pressured Tim and Double Fine too much.

Psychonauts cannot be bad. It's a scientifically proven fact. They're thinking about giving the Nobel price in physics to the guy who proved that.

No, I am not lying, why do you ask?

Okay then, to be serious, you should never judge a game until it's out, or until it's been out for a year or possibly two and/or three.

The only exception is Evil Genius and Paper Mario 2 and maybe Psychonauts.

To be honest my interest in this has nothing to do with Psychonauts, but it's pretty typical that this thread has drifted into that instead of the intended subject. There are only 8 billion other Psychonauts threads you know. :)

Yeah, we should at least pretend SOMETIMES that we're a normal gaming site and not suspiciously adventure-fanboy-centric. :ratched:

To be honest my interest in this has nothing to do with Psychonauts, but it's pretty typical that this thread has drifted into that instead of the intended subject. There are only 8 billion other Psychonauts threads you know. :)

8 billion and one if you count the next thread Moos is about to post....any....second....now.....

Oh, and to make sure you don't wrinkle up again, Jake: :woohoo:

Delicious. I wish it wasn't called Advent Rising though. It reminds me of the Advent computers at work.

Wait a minute. Excuse my lametatiousness, but this game is supposed to be action/adventure, right? For some reason I was thinking it was a strategy game. Or was that Antaeus Rising? Wasn't that an RPG?

Until I saw the trailer, I thought it was Final Fantasy-related, then I realized I was thinking of Advent Children.

Yeah, we should at least pretend SOMETIMES that we're a normal gaming site and not suspiciously adventure-fanboy-centric. :ratched:

LOL :hah:

ok......ummmm......ermmm.............H4L0 0WNZ 4LL OTH3R G4M3S!!!!111!!!!11ONEONEONEONE!!11!!