Sign in to follow this  
Gwardinen

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Seems like we don't actually have a thread for Civ V multiplayer, and since the Gods & Kings expansion has just come out and I'm seeing a fair few people playing, I thought we might want one.

I'm certainly up for some multiplayer games, and as usual I'm Gwardinen on Steam. If there's interest, should we try to set a time since it's kind of a lengthy process?

I'd be up to give this a shot, depending on the time commitment.

I'd also be interested. I have one question. Will a player being terrible ruin the game for everyone else? Question number two: is this a synchronous thing? Can it be played in parts? How long does it typically last? Will I be able to tell my friends about my final score on Twitter and Facebook?

I'd also be interested. I have one question. Will a player being terrible ruin the game for everyone else? Question number two: is this a synchronous thing? Can it be played in parts? How long does it typically last? Will I be able to tell my friends about my final score on Twitter and Facebook?

It's a competitive game, so I think being terrible would just mean you would have a lower likelihood of winning. You can save a game and reload the save game with the same players. That was pretty buggy when I last played it, but that was within a week after launch so I wouldn't be surprised if it's been patched by now.

Does God and Kings fix the fact that Civ 5 multiplayer tends to break in wonderful ways if you're on a particularly large map with more than a few civs/city-states? If it does I'd be willing to pick it up and play, since I don't think I'd get enough use out of G&K single-player.

If you are terrible toblix, just team up with someone stronger and surf on the wave of their power until they turn on you and steal your uranium.

I'd be up for this time depending I have a feeling it could take quite a while. I'm more versed in civ4 but I'm nearing the end of my 1st game to completion in 5 at the moment. Denounces be denouncing.

Does God and Kings fix the fact that Civ 5 multiplayer tends to break in wonderful ways if you're on a particularly large map with more than a few civs/city-states? If it does I'd be willing to pick it up and play, since I don't think I'd get enough use out of G&K single-player.

Not sure whether it still has issues with particularly large maps, but the multiplayer in general has definitely become more stable. Resuming games and recovering people who have disconnected both work much better as well, for when things do go wrong.

I don't think player skill is a particularly big deal, although one of the things I don't like about these kinds of games in multiplayer is that when you're eliminated, you're done personally. It's kind of the Monopoly problem of there not being one end stage, the game just has a slowly dwindling number of players, which has kind of a strangely exclusionary feeling and means anything interesting that happens after a player's elimination is essentially lost on them.

As for time commitments, I definitely envision this being a game played over several sessions - though yes, each session does have to be synchronous.

Alright, if it's at least somewhat stable, which means it works at all compared to vanilla Civ 5 MP, I'll pick it up and be ready whenever.

I've been playing a huge map 2 player game with 42 city states and 8 other AI civs and it's been stable, but a bit slow after the end turn button. But it's been consistently slow, so I think that's just how long it takes for all that to go through.

If organising across different time zones wouldn't be too much of a problem, I would be down for this.

I've seen this before. Someone suggests a multiplayer game, there is interest, and then nothing happens. Just to make sure things do happen, how many players can join this thing? Based on the interested players, can we agree on a time that's good for everyone? Maybe it'll have to be on a weekend?

Also, the more players, the greater the risk of someone not being able to attend. What's the protocol for that?

If only we could still use Google Wave to syncronise our calenders:(

I think the maximum number of players that can be connected to a game is eight, but given it's a turn-based game (and therefore everyone must wait for everyone else to finish each turn - although turns are taken simultaneously at least) and there have been issues with multiplayer stability in the past, it may be best to limit ourselves to smaller numbers than that in any given game.

I'd buy this in a heartbeat, but finding out that Civ V doesn't support multiplayer with mods was such a disappointment I'm not touching it. The game has some problems that the expansion doesn't seem to fix at all. It's a shame, because I'd love to get humiliated in Civ by you folks.

Okay, I just bought Gods and Kings. Also, I had a tiny panic attack afterwards, as I stared at my Steam library and there was nothing between Cities in Motion and Cogs. For a moment I though maybe I had just dreamt playing Civ V.

As punishment for forgetting about him, tonight Sid Meier will visit your nightmares.

Picked it up. Per usual I'm available basically whenever with a few days notice.

Is there a setting in Civ 5 multiplayer that allows you to not play simultaneously? (one player takes a turn then must wait for the other player and so on...) I'm thinking of getting this to run in the background at work so that we can play turns during downtime.

It doesn't have native PBEM, no.

There's an application for it, but it boots and shuts down the client for each of your turns, and as such wouldn't be what we want to do for the 2 or 3 hours a week format we're intending here.

Oh yeah, I was just wondering for games between me and my coworkers. I would assume games here would have to be simultaneous. Was PBEM ever a native mode to the Civ franchise?

Tangential: what's a good PBEM game if Civ doesn't cut it?

Oh yeah, I was just wondering for games between me and my coworkers. I would assume games here would have to be simultaneous. Was PBEM ever a native mode to the Civ franchise?

Tangential: what's a good PBEM game if Civ doesn't cut it?

Civs 1-4 had PBEM. SMAC also does, and is fantastic for it. The Age of Wonders series has decent PBEM, as does pretty much any TBS game in the late 90s early 2000s.

E: Here's the PBEM client for Civ 5, if you're interested. Works fine, just the client start-up and shutdown for each turn. http://multiplayerrobot.com/

Question: What does it mean if the client shuts down afterwards, is that bad? Why does it matter?