Security_Tubbs

Kerbal Space Program

Yeah, it seems that the only way to save an unkerbaled ship with no electricity is to mount a rescue operation and either supply the ship with electricity or extend the panels manually during EVA.

I'm playing a science campaign and after sending up several Kerbals into orbit I've decided to try making an airplane and taking science readings in the desert and the poles, my first design turned out fairly well despite my limited parts selection!

tNP9fGN.jpg

Here is v2, a little heavier, a few more engines on a trip to the south pole

3Oxu2v3.jpg

Cool stuff! I have not been playing around with space planes at all yet. Maybe I should.

Yay, here's the Goldenrod Mk1, my first ship to make it all the way to the moon and back. I have successfully returned two astronauts from the moon via relay from Kerbin orbit, but this is the first one to make it all the way home. It was really close. I ran out of fuel with my orbit just kissing the atmosphere at 65k, so I had to get out and push a little, then wait for my orbit to decay. Next step is to get good enough an Munar landings to land next to my stranded Kerbal and bring her home.

Goldenrod_zpsqzy0xmxx.jpg

On another note, it turns out that you can get your Kerbal rocket 3D printed right off their website. My wife slipped onto my computer and grabbed a save file. Unfortunately/Fortunately, she grabbed one of my more insane designs. It now sits on my desk to help me remember that more rockets isn't necessarily better.

krebal_zpsshx48v4j.jpg

Kerbal Space Program 1.1.1 released yesterday, patching up a lot of bugs from the 1.1 release. The new lighting model is really nice, but man does it make it hard to land in the dark, lights or no. There's also still some interface glitches, but if you've taken a break, now is a good time to get back in.

Accidentally bought this game just after the patch was realised (accidentally after the patch, I mean, not an accidental purchase). I played the alpha or beta or whatever way back in the day and struggled to the point where I gave up, but oh man this is good. Finally getting into a stable orbit after hours of effort and a kerbal massacre was one of the most satisfying computer game experiences I've had in a long time.