Erkki

Civilization games

There's a gaping Civilization-shaped hole in my video game experience. Finally after I started listening to Three Moves Ahead, I really want to try one or some of these.

I do own Civ IV Complete Edition. Is it a good one to start with? Or should I go for Civ V? I'm guessing there's no point to play the earlier ones now?

There's a gaping Civilization-shaped hole in my video game experience. Finally after I started listening to Three Moves Ahead, I really want to try one or some of these.

I do own Civ IV Complete Edition. Is it a good one to start with? Or should I go for Civ V? I'm guessing there's no point to play the earlier ones now?

Beyond the Sword is the best version of Civ so far, I'd go for that.

I'm no Civilization expert, but I would personally start with Civ V. Some of the mechanics have been (positively) streamlined and I think the game would be a more gentle introduction to the series than, say, Civ IV. The combat no being completely stupid is a huge plus, in my opinion.

I'm a huge Civ fan, but honestly didn't like Civ V. I see where they're taking the series and it's cool, but its a fresh start and rough around the edges for it's premier. It feels like it was one step forward, two steps back, but it's a new start for the series so it'll only get better.

Also, it might just be my perception, but it felt like the trading system in V was downright broken.

Compare that to Civ IV and it doesn't stand up. Civ IV was practically perfect and had the benefit of years of previous systems to build on. I also liked the religion system in IV, really missed it in V. I think the Thumbs talked about this stuff at some point before V was released.

But maybe V is better to start with because it's more user friendly?

There are many people who feel that Civ5 is fundamentally broken.

This is a lengthy criticism, but the most important bit is near the end of the page - highlighted in yellow.

ah thanks Jayel, I never looked into that, just had an opinion when playing.

Ok, I guess I'll play IV then. I did the tutorial already.

The installer created 3 shortcuts (normal, Beyond the Sword, Warlords). Are those like separate games basically or do the expansions add something to the main game?

Better to form your own opinion than to pick one up from a stranger on the internet. :D

I just noticed that the link I posted there are 2 topics hilighted in yellow: one regarding multiplayer and one regarding 1-unit-per-tile. I was trying to point out the 1-unit-per-tile part, not the multiplayer.

Ok, I guess I'll play IV then. I did the tutorial already.

The installer created 3 shortcuts (normal, Beyond the Sword, Warlords). Are those like separate games basically or do the expansions add something to the main game?

It's been a while so I don't remember, but I think you can launch any one of them, and within the main menu you can switch between expansions.

If you already own CivIV then that's where you should start. I personally really like Civ V and don't necessarily agree with all the criticism for it, but I can see where people are coming from. That said I still think IV is the better game and if you already own it there's no need to buy another game as IV is the best Civ game there is.

Let me cast another vote for Civ IV, absolutely love that game.