Sno

What would Molydeux

Brilliant!

Brilliant!

An indie game jam based around ideas from the quite clever and generally affectionate Peter Molyneux parody twitter feed.

It's mostly just poking fun at Peter Molyneux's famously aspirational game design ideals, but some of the ideas on this parody twitter are kind of really great even on their own, they'd be perfect fodder for a bunch of really silly indie games. I can't wait to see what comes of this.

I would go to the Melbourne one, but I wouldn't be able to contribute anything meaningful to the game and would instead sit around laughing at the very existence of the event.

Then again, that's a pretty Idle Thumbs thing to do...

I'm considering it, but I find it really hard to throw away weekends on Game Jams lately.

Visualize an open world game set in a white box. During the night you dream and can place elements from your dream into the blank world
This one is actually really cool.

This one is actually really cool.

That's not bad, actually.

So how do these things work? Are you allowed to spectate?

When I first heard of this I immediately thought that Chris has something to do with this. :)

Awesome idea! :tup:

When I first heard of this I immediately thought that Chris has something to do with this. :)

Awesome idea! :tup:

I'm one of the San Francisco organizers!

I wish there was a Toronto one.

There can be, if you want to organize it.

I'm looking into organizing one for Toronto.

Our offices are at younge and King.

That's good :D

If I organized it, it would be a complete disaster. Unless i was the only attendee - then it might have been okay.

I'm not near anywhere it is organized, and haven't done any game programming for a while. I love the concept though, and the name. I think it was Jake who came up with the latter?

I always imagined that game jams involved a load of small teams (1-3 people, I guess) working on their own games, but the blurb on that main site made it sound a bit more like everyone at one location would work together. How's it likely to work for WWMD?

Game teams can be however big you want, but 2-4 is probably the right size.

As many or as few people can work on a team as one likes. As Forbin says, the groups are usually small.

So are spectators allowed or could you use any volunteers? (speaking about SF specifically)

Well, that was a thing. I really didn't expect that the biggest problem was going to be having too much food.

If you guys are still interested, the west coast should be starting their demos soon. www.twitch.tv/event/molyjam

I watched about an hour of that, and it was fantastic. The video quality wasn't great but the comradery you could feel among the devs in the room was fantastic. They all wanted the games to be good

Are there any good write-ups or summaries about the event floating around?

Yeah, I really want to read something where the wheat has been separated from the chaff. I tried to play a couple of games I just picked myself, but they weren't very good.

I'm crossing my fingers for a 2013 edition so I can participate.

How can something this insane/awesome not be a yearly event?

Also be careful with some of the games -- when I uninstalled one, it started popping up messages about DLL-ls in Windows system folder no longer being used and I let it delete a lot of them until I realized it was probably listing every DLL in there. Now another game is not starting due to a missing DLL. :(