toblix

Broken Sword 5: Legacy of The Something

What exactly do you mean by adventure game "revival"? Do you mean as reigniting the genre and getting in the top ten charts? Did we even have these charts back then? :erm:

Or do you mean there will simply be more? I've been playing pretty good adventure games lately, and I'm not only talking about Telltale ones.

And there wasn't that many adventure games back in the day, we'd get a Sierra game or two a year, maybe the same for Lucasarts and then a handful of adventure games made by other companies (where maybe only one or two was actually good), the only thing different now is that Lucasarts and Sierra are gone.

Whenever someone says they want TTG to up their games, my brain translates it to: "Screw logical puzzles! I want moon logic! Bring back the honey car stache puzzle!".:getmecoat

Nah, I mean I wish their games were less buggy and more consistent. Even their great games - Tales, The Devil's Playhouse and Sam and Max Season Two - drag in places they shouldn't (TMI and S2 in the beginning, TDP in the middle; I think the first episode of that one is the best).

They also have two really good games - Strong Bad and Puzzle Agent (haven't played the second yet, though) - and they both have slight problems that prevented them from eternal greatness.

Their other stuff varies.

I think what Thunderpeel's rightly saying is that at one time adventure games were properly mainstream, in that you could talk to most people who gamed at the time and they would have played the latest big adventure release. Even now I find out that guys I know who only play the latest FPS loved classic adventure games, because back then they were the only games that delivered a fantastic story with wonderful locations and characters — stuff most people wanted in games, and still do. When a good new adventure came out it was big news, like when a new Call of Duty comes out nowadays.

Unfortunately for adventure games other genres have absorbed the things that most attracted people to adventure games (hint: it wasn't the puzzles), which I resolutely believe to be the main reason for their decline.

I think Telltale has definitely done some good because it's managed to not only produce some great games that seasoned adventure gamers have enjoyed, but also grab some other fans by tying into cult licenses (the type of people who will play anything with that license). I also think adventure games will have somewhat of a resurgence thanks to touchscreen mobile gaming and the long-overdue evolution of the console controller — but they'll never be as mainstream as they once were. And that's not a bad thing.

Thank you, Thrik, for making what I was trying to say a lot clearer!

I agree with what you say, but I do think the "getting stuck" in Adventure Games is why they died out. It's just totally unacceptable for a game not to provide enjoyment for extended periods while the player tries combining every object with every other object. Games like Professor Layton always make it clear what you need to do, and you're never stuck for longer than a couple of minutes. With adventure games you can get stuck and not even know WHY.

Of course, superb game design can overcome this, but that seems hard to come by. TT has certainly struggled. IMO DOTT was probably the pinnacle of great, logical puzzles, and obvious goals in an adventure game.

Well, it is easier to tell the player what to do than to make a puzzle or goal obvious yet satisfying.

Games are getting bigger and longer and most developers don't dare let the player get stuck or lost and frankly, I think they should at least remember us of our objectives and then let us decide whether we need help with achieving them.

I think what Thunderpeel's rightly saying is that at one time adventure games were properly mainstream, in that you could talk to most people who gamed at the time and they would have played the latest big adventure release.

To me the real takeaway there is how much the gaming audience expanded since the time when adventure games charted highly. I think the same ten people have always loved adventure games, it's just that the population increased from 15 to 1500 in the past 25 years.

To me the real takeaway there is how much the gaming audience expanded since the time when adventure games charted highly. I think the same ten people have always loved adventure games, it's just that the population increased from 15 to 1500 in the past 25 years.

Maybe... But what about Text Adventures? Have the number of people that love them has increased a hundred fold, too?

It'll be interesting to see how well that game does. Theoretically the genre could find a new audience on iOS and Kindle devices but....I don't know. It would be cool if it does though and that the people with iPads or Kindles are more willing to try different things.

I'm always willing to experiment and try new experiences, like new hats or differently colored grenades.

SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!

I dunno, the Broken Sword remake (and everything else for years) makes me skeptical that Revolution still has it in them. But if it's good, it could be good.

Charles Cecil twote this the other day:

Demand noted - announcement coming soon RT @dazsinuk:@CharlesCecil Broken Sword 5. I demand it forthwith! Please put us out of our misery!
I guess this just confirms something is happening. Oh boy, I hope it's a 2D adventure with beautiful hand-drawn graphics.

Two days later:

REVOLUTION SOFTWARE ANNOUNCE: @DAZSINUK IS A PUSHY PRICK.

"I really didn't like his attitude" said Revolution CEO Charles Cecil, today.

It's probably a 2D adventure with ugly toon rendered graphics.